Wednesday, February 24, 2016

A slight change in plans.

A visit to my wound care doc revealed today that I have a pernicious infection working its way up my right leg. Old timers called things like this "blood poisoning." This had a sudden onset of about 48 hours ago and the doc wanted to put me in the hospital for treatment with IV antibiotics immediately. (It will be the new Grandview Medical Center on US 280.) This did not fit my plans as I have an academic flying in this afternoon to help me go over my papers still at home and to evaluate those that have been donated to BPL Archives. A major archive in the northeast is interested in the collection and has offered to preserve all the hard copies plus the electronic record (the blog, the John Doe Times, and the emails relevant to the early days of the Fast and Furious scandal). I must be present to coordinate this.
Because of this long-scheduled activity, I put off the admission until Friday morning and I will be taking some bridge antibiotics orally until then. What this does mean is that I am going to miss the Oneonta Gun Show this weekend, due to being flat on my back in the hospital tied to an IV pole. At present I'm trying to find someone to work the tables for me, or, failing that, I will just let some other deserving folks have them since they are already paid for. I thought of postponing the admission until Monday but I am not suicidal. I need to move the military surplus to deserving folks for cheap but it is not worth dying over. I will let you know the room number and probable length of stay when I have more information. Keep me in your prayers.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Mike. I will pray for you, even though you don't agree with me on everything.
LOL. Seriously, Please do what the doctors say and stick around as long as you can. You are doing the Lord's work.

Anonymous said...

AMF. Hope the ride is short and The nurses pretty. Via Con Dios.--Ray

Steve Miller said...

Prayers are sent Mike! May this be a temporary nuisance for you!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Brother ! Behind enemy lines Ct.

Atypical millennial said...

May God bless you, Mike. You've been nothing if not tenacious this past year.

daniel said...

Prayers out, Mike.
Don't be shy to ask locals for help.
We all owe you much.

JohninMd.(HELP?!??) said...

Not knowing what kind of antibiotics your doc has in mind, Mike, but when my wife had a bowl resection done we were doing IV antibiotic treatments at home, and we went mobile to a couple of events, pole and all. You might want to ask if that's possible in your case, that's up to your Medic, of course. Carry on, Brother.

Moe Death said...

God bless and keep you, Mike! You are in our prayers.

Bill and Domino
III

Alan said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Mike. Through God all things are possible.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you, Mike. God bless you and heal you.

STD

oughtsix said...


I pray the Holy Spirit pour out His healing, peace and love upon you, Mike.

Thank you from the remnant of a grateful Nation, for whom you have accomplished and sacrificed so much.

Will said...

I would suggest not postponing that IV. Had a friend a couple years ago who developed a leg infection due to a fall on his prosthetic lower leg, which caused an internal bruise, IIRC. He waited a few days after realizing he was ill, before he was carted off to the ICU. During that wait, the infection spread to his blood. He lasted a week in the hospital, unable to speak or write. Please don't make the same mistake my friend Michael did.

Anonymous said...

You'll be in my prayers, Mike.

Anonymous said...

Prayers sent, sir. Hoping your hospital stay is short, and your recovery swift!

Anonymous said...

Mike, may God's grace embrace you. My prayers too go out for a short stay and a complete recovery.
God speed.

SpookUSN20 said...

Prayers Are going out to you Mike from your Neighbor. Looking out your front door, you see my deck. Just wanted to tell you that if you or your family need anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I am ashamed that I haven't been a better neighbor to you all these years. But I am honored to have someone of your stature and a fellow 2nd amendment advocate living next to me. Praying that Almighty God touch you in a mighty and special way and you are healed of this.
God Bless You and Long Live The Republic!!!

Anonymous said...

Prayers your way. RosalindJ

Anonymous said...

Mike,

My prayers go your way daily. You've been an inspiring part of my daily reading for several years, and I'm grateful to you.

I'm sad that you've never taken the advice of those who've suggested some of the solid, effective and safe alternative cancer treatments. With care and effort it's not, even now, too late to drastically extend your span and quality of life.

To your friends, money is no object, as precious as you are to many of us. So I am sure that there would be someone to pay for your treatment even though insurance won't.

Please, go to this web site, read up on their "High pH Therapy" topic, and call them for advice. Then come back to us and tell us what you want to try.

http://www.essense-of-life.com/

We're all going to die, and maybe you're ready to, but there's nothing to stop you from killing this cancer and letting your body start to heal as much as it will.

Blessings to you and your dear family.

Pam