Sunday, September 5, 2010

A moment to clarify what I mean by "moke"

An overloaded moke (who appears to be smarter than his owner).
"Moke" is indeed a disparaging term used by Hawaiians, meaning somebody big and dumb. However, as near as I can tell its usage preceeds that by many centuries in English-speaking countries. It is an archaic British, Australian, and United States slang term meaning donkey. I cannot tell you where I first heard it, but it was long ago in my youth, which was divided between Michigan and Ohio, far away from Hawaii. There are no racial overtones, intended or unintended, to the term as I understand it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last little box will do it every time!

Dennis308 said...

Em a Donkey, A equestrian Animal a little smaller and weaker than a Jack-Ass. Good discription, Good Word.

Dennis
III
Texas

catfish said...

Been a long time since I heard the term "Moke". I 1st heard it while stationed in Hawaii. It seemed to be a favorite way to describe "haole" Redneck Marines!lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mike had no idea what it meant :)
Hope your having a good weekend!

Dedicated_Dad said...

Heard the term for many years - describing an idiot - but never hawaii or donkey.

Still, know what you meant...

Mike H said...

It's a fave with me and my fictional character in my novel.

Skip said...

New Yawkers say jamoke.

Ed said...

The Online Etymology Dictionary on "moke":
"“dolt,” 1855, originally (16c.) “donkey;” of unknown origin."

The "Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition" describes "moke" as British slang of unknown origin for "donkey" or "a stupid fellow", and as an Australian word for "an inferior horse" or a "nag".