Saturday, March 27, 2010

And now for something completely different. . .


Words fail.

However, this is a song I taught my son and daughters when they were quite young:

Dead Skunk
by Loudon Wainright III


Crossin' the highway late last night
He shoulda looked left and he shoulda looked right
He didn't see the station wagon car
The skunk got squashed and there you are!

You got yer
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
You got yer dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high Heaven!

Take a whiff on me, that ain't no rose!
Roll up yer window and hold yer nose
You don't have to look and you don't have to see
'Cause you can feel it in your olfactory

You got yer
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
You got yer dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high Heaven!

Yeah you got yer dead cat and you got yer dead dog
On a moonlight night you got yer dead toad frog
Got yer dead rabbit and yer dead raccoon
The blood and the guts they're gonna make you swoon!
You got yer
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
You got yer dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high Heaven!

C'mon stink!

You got it!
It's dead, it's in the middle
Dead skunk in the middle!
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high heaven!
All over the road, technicolor man!
Oh, you got pollution
It's dead, it's in the middle
And it's stinkin' to high, high Heaven

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL this made my day! I too was taught that song by my father!

One more reason not to drink...

Anonymous said...

Always one of my favorites on Dr. Demento's show.

Anonymous said...

HA HA -- I remember that song! When I was a little kid, back in the seventies, My brother-in-law would play it in 'Ol Blue (his 50's era ford pick-up)- We sang it all the time while driving around small town, Texas ... including while hunting cottontails in his pasture. Fun times...great memories!

Fred Mangels said...

Except that's a possum, not a skunk.

pdxr13 said...

That's a dead 'possum.

Possums are some of the toughest critters I have ever taken care of.

The pelts of late-winter possums are thick and warm when made into gloves.

There are some people who like to eat possums (even garbage-fed urban possums!). I just want them to not die in my crawlspace, bother the domestic cats, or eat the chickens.

Cheers.

drdave said...

Every time I smell or see a skunk in the middle of the road, that song pops into my head. Never knew where I had heard it first, but probably was my dad, too.

Spence said...

Well this is interesting. Apparently the Reid 'rent a mob" get "violent" go figure

http://www.foundingbloggers.com/wordpress/2010/03/harry-reid-supporters-threaten-violence-against-breitbart-at-tea-party-protest/

Happy D said...

Always liked that song.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I guess with one dead & the other dead-drunk, the living one can't smell the dead one.
But *****!! I shudder! Now I gots'ta go wash out my mouth with soap or Listerine. . . . . (eaccchhh - pfft-pfft)

B Woodman
III-per

Anonymous said...

"But this government of ours is a democracy." Correction - This government of ours is a Republic. There is a difference - look it up.

As for "attacking the Constitution".... the Obama Administration is doing the attacking. You follow their orders - you are attacking it as well.

You make me sick.

MelTX