Thursday, July 30, 2015

"The Military Will Test a New Terrifyingly Loud Noise Gun."

Imagine walking through a field on a cloudless day when you suddenly hear the 130-decibel roar of a fighter jet. But you can’t spot the jet, or even tell which direction the sound is coming from. Rather, it seems to originate from the thin air in front of your face, like a shout from an angry, Old-Testament God. No, you aren’t hallucinating. And you aren’t Moses. You’re experiencing a new type of military weapon intended not to kill but to startle an enemy into retreat. It’s called the Laser-Induced Plasma Effect, or LIPE, a weapon that the U.S. military hopes to begin testing in coming months.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my noise may be quieter, but it works at well over 100 meters...

Anonymous said...

Ear plugs should do the trick. 50 cent solution.

MikeH. said...

So, uh; should I assume this little gem will be put to work in a war on ISIS, ISIL or IS? (The name changes so often, I can only hope I have covered all current possibilities, least I offend anyone) I mean I shudder to think that our military may be someday called upon to use this thing on American soil and / or against Americans citizens!!!

Loud noise guns, truck mounted loud noise generators, truck mounted high frequency skin irritating generators and localized (small area) EMP causing mortar / artillery shells... Were any of these "toys" in use in Iraq or Afghanistan? If not, I wonder what the hell the military would need these things for.

Oh well, I'm not going to strain my brain thinking about it. I feel safe and secure in the knowledge that our government will take great care of us; that our government is behind us one hundred and ten percent. I'm sure of this because I have often felt them back there.

MikeH.
A Geriatric Threeper

Anonymous said...

what about us deaf old codgers that no longer give a fu@k ? huh?

j said...

if anyone was silly enough to try them on home soil - they always say, you never hear the one that gets you. :o)