Sunday, February 22, 2009

"From the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations."

Patrick Henry Pearse, 10 November 1879 – 3 May 1916

Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa (1831–1915) was a grocer in Skibbereen, Co. Cork, when he founded in 1856 a literary and political group known as the Phoenix Society, which later merged into the Irish Republican Brotherhood. Imprisoned from 1865 until early 1871, he went to America, where he organized a ‘skirmishing fund’ to finance military operations against the British rule in Ireland and later directed "The Dynamite Campaign," the first nationalist bombing campaign in mainland Britain, from 1881–5. The British often demanded his extradition from the United States, but it was always refused. He died in New York in 1915, and his Irish Republican Brotherhood comrades brought his body home to Dublin to bury in Glasnevin cemetery. As famous as O'Donovan Rossa was in life, the funeral oration by Patrick Henry Pearse sealed his immortality.

Patrick Pearse's Graveside Oration for O'Donovan Rossa

1 August 1915 at Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin


It has seemed right, before we turn away from this place in which we have laid the mortal remains of O'Donovan Rossa, that one among us should, in the name of all, speak the praise of that valiant man, and endeavour to formulate the thought and the hope that are in us as we stand around his grave. And if there is anything that makes it fitting that I, rather than some other, rather than one of the grey-haired men who were young with him and shared in his labour and in his suffering, should speak here, it is perhaps that I may be taken as speaking on behalf of a new generation that has been re-baptised in the Fenian faith, and that has accepted the responsibility of carrying out the Fenian programme. I propose to you then that, here by the grave of this unrepentant Fenian, we renew our baptismal vows; that, here by the grave of this unconquered and unconquerable man, we ask of God, each one for himself, such unshakable purpose, such high and gallant courage, such unbreakable strength of soul as belonged to O'Donovan Rossa.

Deliberately here we avow ourselves, as he avowed himself in the dock, Irishmen of one allegiance only. We of the Irish Volunteers, and you others who are associated with us in to-day's task and duty, are bound together and must stand together henceforth in brotherly union for the achievement of the freedom of Ireland. And we know only one definition of freedom: it is Tone's definition, it is Mitchel's definition, it is Rossa's definition. Let no man blaspheme the cause that the dead generations of Ireland served by giving it any other name and definition than their name and their definition.

We stand at Rossa's grave not in sadness but rather in exaltation of spirit that it has been given to us to come thus into so close a communion with that brave and splendid Gael. Splendid and holy causes are served by men who are themselves splendid and holy. O'Donovan Rossa was splendid in the proud manhood of him, splendid in the heroic grace of him, splendid in the Gaelic strength and clarity and truth of him. And all that splendour and pride and strength was compatible with a humility and a simplicity of devotion to Ireland, to all that was olden and beautiful and Gaelic in Ireland, the holiness and simplicity of patriotism of a Michael O'Clery or of an Eoghan O'Growney. The clear true eyes of this man almost alone in his day visioned Ireland as we of to-day would surely have her: not free merely, but Gaelic as well; not Gaelic merely, but free as well.

In a closer spiritual communion with him now than ever before or perhaps ever again, in a spiritual communion with those of his day, living and dead, who suffered with him in English prisons, in communion of spirit too with our own dear comrades who suffer in English prisons to-day, and speaking on their behalf as well as our own, we pledge to Ireland our love, and we pledge to English rule in Ireland our hate.

This is a place of peace, sacred to the dead, where men should speak with all charity and with all restraint; but I hold it a Christian thing, as O'Donovan Rossa held it, to hate evil, to hate untruth, to hate oppression, and, hating them, to strive to overthrow them. Our foes are strong and wise and wary; but, strong and wise and wary as they are, they cannot undo the miracles of God who ripens in the hearts of young men the seeds sown by the young men of a former generation.

And the seeds sown by the young men of '65 and '67 are coming to their miraculous ripening to-day. Rulers and Defenders of Realms had need to be wary if they would guard against such processes. Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations.

The Defenders of this Realm have worked well in secret and in the open. They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! — they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace.


Nine months later, Pearse led the Easter Rising and was among the first executed by the British army. At his court martial, he said this:

When I was a child of ten I went down on my knees by my bedside one night and promised God that I should devote my life to an effort to free my country. I have kept that promise. First among all earthly things, as a boy and as a man, I have worked for Irish freedom. I have helped to organize, to arm, to train, and to discipline my fellow countrymen to the sole end that, when the time came, they might fight for Irish freedom. The time, as it seemed to me, did come and we went into the fight. I am glad that we did, we seem to have lost, we have not lost. To refuse to fight would have been to lose, to fight is to win, we have kept faith with the past, and handed a tradition to the future… I assume I am speaking to Englishmen who value their own freedom, and who profess to be fighting for the freedom of Belgium and Serbia. Believe that we too love freedom and desire it. To us it is more desirable than anything else in the world. If you strike us down now we shall rise again and renew the fight. You cannot conquer Ireland; you cannot extinguish the Irish passion for freedom; if our deed has not been sufficient to win freedom then our children will win it by a better deed.

I guess you can tell I've been working on some Absolved chapters that deal with the Irish struggle for independence. I hope you are as moved by Pearse's words as I am.

My thanks to Bob Wright for reminding me of this. You will be hearing more of Bob Wright as time goes by. Believe me. He has been plagued by serious health problems for the past couple of years, but he is coming back to the battlefield like the old war horse that he is. Welcome back to the fight, Bob. We've missed you.

Bob Wright, of Eunice, Nex Mexico.

9 comments:

j said...

The last time that I saw Tommy Makem, he sang a song which has always - since I was a boy - brought a tear or two to my eyes; and it cam agian unbidden as I read this article tonight. The final verse:

"I have four green fields, and one of them's in bondage
In stranger's hands, that tried to take it from me -
But my sons have sons,
as brave as were their fathers!
My fourth green field
will bloom once again" said she.

Anonymous said...

Hey bud, aren't you supposed to be writing? :)

Anonymous said...

Cut Mike some slack. Writing is hard work and a writer needs to take the occasional break to stay fresh.
So Mike, breaks over, back to work.
On a different note, it concerns me that so many of us the faithful tend to be old farts with medical issues. We need to be proactive in recruiting new blood to carry the torch when we retire to our fixed positions.

Dakota said...

Well there's a cowboy if ever I have seen one. Sure would love to get a little stirrup time in myself. This life I'm a livin in the concrete jungle is slowly killin this ol cowboy. Best wishes Bob....call me.

Great post Mike got my wee bit of Irish stirred up. How ya holdin up?

rexxhead said...

I never realized Vanderboegh was an Irish name...

Clare? Westmeath?

Anonymous said...

Cork. On me mother's side, twice removed. ;-)

Sennachie said...

Ah, twice removed is it? Came back the first time they were removed, did they?

Ah well, bless 'em all, I say.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Lar,

Don't worry, there already is new blood. I'm in my early thirties, and from my talks with people there are many more of my age out there. We tend to remain in the back, as many of us have young families, parents, friends that can be used against us.
However...
We're here...
We're watching...
We're hoping our waiting comes to naught, but we are waiting...
And when the redcoats march into Lexington...
We'll be there to watch your back.

Mous

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bob sorry to hear you were under the wether. I am now in Fountain Fl. Ben some years since we trained together. PS I was with the Albuquerque Militia group. I was the big one.
Ray Thomas