The rally (Our Capitol, Our Rights: A Rally for Freedom) is being held in front of the state Capitol building in Olympia this Saturday the 7th at 10am.
Speakers include Rep. Matt Shea, Rep. Elizabeth Scott, Rep. David Taylor, and Mike Vanderboegh.
This rally serves to defy arbitrary rules that the legislature has decided apply to gun owners; they have designated firearms as "props" as for use in demonstrations and barred them from the public viewing galleries, citing the legislators' safety. They are "intimidated" by openly armed citizens (probably because they continue submitting gun control bills that infringe upon the right to self-defense against tyranny).
We are asking for people to come and stand with us, whether that be armed openly, concealed, or even unarmed.
Those who enter the gallery while open carrying will be arrested for criminal trespass (a misdemeanor); however, concealed carry is still "allowed" (although the state patrol has said they will be checking permits). Those who wish to stand do NOT have to be arrested; they are welcome to come concealed and take pics/video, or simply serve as witnesses to what's happening.
We do ask that those who come understand that responsible, respectful conduct is necessary. Obviously safe firearm handling (muzzles up at all times) is necessary; we are also asking that those who choose to be arrested do not physically resist. We will act with principle and calm. We are standing for our liberty and will adhere to the catechism of the 3%: we do not shoot first and we do not target innocents. We are simply there to force the issue of infringement. Those who choose to act irresponsibly or attempt to incite violence will be on their own.
For those who can't make it but want to donate funds to be used for bail money, there is this link:
The rally is being hosted by Liberty for All. We are just a group of patriots who believe that everyone has the right---and the duty---to refuse tyranny and stand, regardless of color, belief, or other factors that are used to divide the people. We call upon legislators to uphold their oath to the Constitution and we call upon patriots to stand with us in liberty and say NO MORE taking of the citizens' rights.
Liberty For All
Here's some background with relevant links:
- Speaker pro tem of the State House made a comment last summer that he would not open the legislature session if there were open carry "gun nuts" in the public viewing gallery. On Facebook, he joked about it and plainly stated that it was his "arbitrary rule," and that anyone who open carried in the legislative gallery was violating HIS rule.
- After I-594 passed and the 13th December rally took place, we went back to a rally hosted by so-called "gun rights groups." Alan Gottlieb et al were the speakers and hosts of the event (they also recently submitted a letter to the legislature asking for 'fixes' to I-594 but left in all the background checks). About 25 of us went into the public gallery and they shut down the legislature (claiming later that it was a 'proforma' session anyway; we know for a fact they planned to shut down because they knew we were coming).
- In the wake of our action, the Senate (and later the House) leadership decided that they would "reinterpret" existing decorum rules barring demonstrations and "props" such as signs, buttons, etc. from the gallery. Openly carried firearms are now prohibited under this rule, and firearms have been designated "props" by the legislature. Concealed carry is allowed with permit. They have also banned firearms from public hearing rooms as well.
- The WA State Patrol has warned us that if we attempt to enter the gallery with an open carry again, we will be asked to leave, then ordered to leave, THEN physically escorted out, and arrested for criminal trespass if we resist the escort.
- Meanwhile, State Rep. Laurie Jinkins, head of the Judiciary Committee (and a member of the national gun control coalition), is squashing all pro-gun bills and refusing to allow them out of committee, while ramming through bill after bill of stricter gun control laws, including one that allows ANY law enforcement officer or family member to request a hearing to have a judge take someone's gun rights based in part on "extreme behavior." We believe that bill was designed for us specifically, under the auspices of handling the "mentally ill."
- On the 7th, we plan to go back to the Capitol, and some of our number have agreed to force the issue and be arrested. Others will be filming, conceal carrying, and standing in support. (Facebook link to event is here.)
- We have several legislators who will be attending/speaking and who plan to stand with us (including Matt Shea) although they will not be arrested.
- We have sent an open letter to the WSP outlining our intent and mindset, as well as an appeal to the people of WA and the nation asking them to come help us. Later this week, we will be publishing a list of grievances to the legislature demanding that they uphold the Constitution.