"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." -- Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke.
The old Prussian von Moltke was certainly right about battle plans. Sometimes they don't even survive contact with your FRIENDS.
Initially, I was invited by organizers of the 2nd Amendment Rally and March on 4 July in Westcliffe, CO as part of their annual festivities and July 4th Parade. There would be a march, a rally and I would get to speak. Also invited were Stewart Rhodes, Sheriff Mack and Larry Pratt. Then, almost immediately, we were disinvited and told that some of the leading lights of the resistance to the new Colorado law didn't want "outsiders" there.
This predated the controversy detailed here, and so reflected their own political estimation of the situation and not noisy collectivist opposition.
Other venues were sought for the week of 4 July and none could be found. Several other Coloradans with impeccable Second Amendment credentials expressed similar aversion to "outsiders." Yesterday, I received this from an attorney in Colorado:
There is pretty likely going to be civil disobedience by Coloradoans themsevles. People coming in from out of state would be extremely counterproductive. There's a strong and growing resentment to the magban being imposed by forces outside of Colorado--namely Bloomberg and Biden. Any civil disobedience would be far more likely to have a positive (or at least non-negative) impact on public opinion if it was done purely by Coloradoans.
Now, I AM welcome at the 1 July disobedience on the statehouse steps, where arrests are pretty much certain. That gives me three days to get there. And, thanks to reader's contributions, while I certainly have the magazines I am short on the money necessary to rent a car, and get there and back, without a co-driver. My plan had been to use my daughter Zoe as a co-driver but I was warned by two lawyers this week that she could be subject to arrest for aiding and abetting my disobedience. That I will not risk. So I decided yesterday I would drive myself if i could raise the vehicle money. I already have had offers of bail money and places to stay out there, but then there is Rosey.
My health has been pretty crappy this week, and I made the mistake of being honest with Rosey when I repeated what my doctor told me -- that he would prefer that I rested up for the surgery to glue me back together rather than go to Colorado just now. Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had in a while and Rosey, hitherto extremely supportive in everything I've done, is now convinced I won't survive arrest and jail at this time.
So, where does that leave me and my plans for Colorado? Well, that's what I'm asking you. Should I wait until after the first Colorado actions (and my surgery) and do some smuggling later this month when I am stronger and have a better chance of arranging a venue? Or should I just get on a bus tomorrow and go get arrested in Denver on 1 July? Either way, I WILL carry out a disobedience action in Colorado at some point. The question now is when. I would appreciate your input.