Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tacticool Tuesday - The MUT

The MUT by Leatherman is a multitool that has been designed specifically for the AR series rifle.  Over the years I have had a number of Gerbers and Leatherman tools and keep coming back to the Leatherman.  It is almost always more heavy than the Gerber but it is packed with features.  Gerbers also have a nasty design flaw in that if the pliers unexpectedly slip off of something while under tension, it will invariably catch the webbing of your hand and hurt like hell.  If you have ever used one, you know exactly what I am talking about.

What draws me to the MUT is the bolt over ride tool.  The "hammer", bronze scraper, scope wrench, etc. is all icing on the cake for me compared to that.  I have had to clear various malfunctions over the years and there is just no good way to do it quickly other than rack the charging handle back repeatedly, hammering the butt of the rifle on the ground, and hope for the best. I would like the ability to drop the mag, rip a tool out of my open top HSGI Taco pouch, manually insert it into the bolt, rack it back, watch the brass clear and continue mission.  I can be back into the fight in a few seconds.  Easy peezy.

The promotional video with explanation of the major features



The Nutnfancy longwinded gear review
 
 
 
We have one of these at the store that I have been eyeballing for about a year now.  After seeing the videos I think I am ready to pull the trigger on this one today.  The price tag is from 120 to 150 depending on what model you get.  Obviously much more than the Eddie Bauer stocking stuffer.  With my very modest discount and a $30 gift card I received for making a dy-no-mite cheesecake, I can pick this up for under a 100.  Never pay full price, right?
 
Now I did see this piece of gear making its rounds lately.  I can see it does something similar to the MUT bolt over ride tool and is substantially less in weight and in precious federal reserve notes ($35 to $45 depending on model). 
 
Weaponsman has this really solid review of the tool.
 
 
From the Manufacturer:
"The Manual Bolt Extraction Device (MBED) is designed to be used in the event of a malfunction where you need direct access to the bolt carrier group (BCG) and the leverage provided by the charging handle is insufficient. The MBED is effectively used to clear the most common stoppages such as a double feed where the second round is wedged above the BCG. The MBED can also be used to clear an over pressured round or any stoppage where the casing is stuck in the chamber and has seized function of the rifle."
 
Why would I choose the MUT over this?  I wouldn't necessarily.  Tools are tools.  On the gear I would want a tool that will give me the most bang for my buck without taking up too much real estate.  Bottom line is that it is your choice what you carry into the fight.  We'll see how enthusiastic about the MUT after I run up flights of stairs in full armor.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of the Gerber because the tools are INSIDE the handle. I was never a fan of the Leatherman, with the tools OUTSIDE the handle. I guess you'd have to see 'em to know what I'm talking about. It was always about grip comfort.
But then again, I'm talking about the earlier generation Gerbers and Leathermen. The two (yes, two) Gerbers that I have are Gen I & II, or Gen II & III. Don't remember which.
One has the adjustable round head hex bolts to adjust the tension for the pliers slide mechanism. (this one was provided by Uncle Sam. thanks!)
The newer (HAH!) one has flat headed rivets for the pliers slide mechanism, but no lock for the other tools. So that should help date it.
The earlier one I've had for at least 30 years, the other for at least 20 years. So, considering the design differences between the two styles back then, I preferred the Gerbers.
Before I go out anywhere, any time (even to church), if I don't have my Gerber and my folding pocket knife on my belt, I feel undressed, incomplete.

But this MUT looks gooood, as an AR platform multi-tool. I'll have to put it on my "wish list" for my children to get me come my birthday or Christmas.

Thanks for the heads up, Matt. And say hello to your Dad for me, and wish him well.

B Woodman
III-per

Anonymous said...

The first multitool I ever owned was a Gerber that was given to me as a gift. I appreciated the sentiment by the giver and kept it for a few days, even used it a couple of times until about the third time when the handles pinched a blood blister the size of a dime on the palm side of my index finger at the first knuckle.

I couldn't drive fast enough to the store to return it for a different tool and upon arriving there and heading to the returns department I discovered four other people in line, all of them returning the same poorly designed multitool and all of us had the same injury in the same place.

I would not own another Gerber tool even if(as the first one was)it was given to me.

I've carried an original Leatherman tool for almost twenty five years now, having only to replace the case because was so scuffed up.

DTG said...

OK....gear whore that I apparently am, I bit...and bought one.....heh. Always a good idea to have another multi-tool anyway. :-)

Black Rifle said...

I have a gerber I bought 30 years ago--says made in USA. I don't think any of them say that anymore, do they? at any rate, I bought a leatherman surge, and then a sidekick? (I think). Both USA made, and as it has been mentioned before, NO PINCHIN' O' THE HAND.

First Name Last Name said...

Bill Leatherman is an anti-gun piece of feces. Buy some other brand of tool. Do not support anti gunners

Anonymous said...

The leverage the MBED seems to offer looks like a good idea to me. Once had a terrible AR jam from using Bear lacquered ammo. We weren't aware how much lacquer builds up in the chamber and a live round got stuck half way in. No way to separate to upper and lower and couldn't budge the charging handle. Had a gunsmith clear it by going in through the buffer. That would have been quite the dilemma in a combat situation. This MBED might have given the extra leverage needed to clear that round. Needless to say I no longer use Bear in ARs and if I did I'd have a container of lacquer thinner nearby to keep the chamber swabbed out.