Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Keeping our feathers numbered: "Build a 75 foot target range in your basement."

Folks,

Back when I was a kid, one of my favorite cartoon characters was Foghorn T. Leghorn, the indisputably Southern rooster of unflappable persona. In one episode I recall, FTL had just come up on the wrong end of what passed for an IED in those days, totally denuding him of feathers from the waist up. As he gathered up his feathers in his arms, he walked off, commenting, "Fo-chune-ately, ah keep mah feathas num-bahed for just such an a-cay-sion." I thought about the need for eveyone to have a back-up plan when I saw THIS.


I've always been a sucker for old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics back issues from the Twenties, Thirties and Forties. They have all kinds of cool stuff for self-sufficiency. Today, I am indebted to "the Dweeze" for this link. Who knows, if we lose, some of you may have to teach your kids and grandkids how to shoot this way -- underground, away from prying eyes. IF we lose. But if so, it is important to keep our feathers numbered.

Mike
III

2 comments:

chris horton said...

Thanks to "the dweeze" for this.

I had an indoor range my grandpop built for me,and we shot 22's in the basement year round.

I believe he built it from a popular mechanics story sometime in the early 70's.

CIII

Anonymous said...

This is a very good reason to start fighting for liberty at home: by discarding your local building permit restrictocracy with a much less intrusive and less specific set of regulations for taxation. (<-- One of the few correct uses of "regulate" that you will find.)

Of course, every hates building codes until they buy a building where building codes weren't followed.