Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Praxis: Sipsey Street Irregulars Improvisation Contest.

Today, while I was still struggling with on-line problems and cell phone disconnectivity, I stopped by a thrift store to ease my frustration and found some Crown Products totes for a dime a piece. I bought 75. They are similar to the "natural color" tan one in the illustration above, 13-3/4" in height by 11-3/4" in width with about a 3-1/2" gusset. These are produced to put a customer's logo on and are often used as sales show giveaway bags. These, however, are plain without logo, just all-over coyote brown. So why did I buy them?
The material is thin which suggested bandoleer to me. Anyway, I thought I'd offer them to any of you "improvise, adapt and overcome" guys and gals out there who might have a bit of skill with a sewing machine. Drop me a line by email (GeorgeMason1776ATaol.com)or snail mail (PO Box 926, Pinson AL 35126) and I'll send you 4 each of these to play with to you heart's content -- no charge. The only thing is, if you come up with a good idea, you must have documented it and the creative process so others can duplicate. When we get all the submissions in, I'll make a grand praxis post. So, bandoleers? Drum mag carry pouches? Claymore bags? Let your imagination wander. And if you need more than four for whatever you're attempting, let me know. This ought to be fun.

9 comments:

Dean L said...

A parachute for Obama maybe?

Post-inflation change purses?

Occupy Wall Street emotional baggage carriers?

III more than them said...

LOL!!!! I would, but there are so many projects left undone as of now that I would be in dereliction.

Great idea though, and I'll be waiting to see the result! Nice idea, Mike!

Anonymous said...

sandbags....

I'd keep plenty, your place tends to get wet alot.

Bear said...

Heh. When I edited Doing Freedom! magazine, we had a guy who did a regular column on improvisations like that.

If these are the better canvas types (as opposed to the cheap nonwoven stuff that a lot of stores peddle by the cash registers), consider keeping some intact to use as water carriers. At that price you won't mind taking a lot apart; you've covered some of the main material uses, but I've salvaged strapping like that used for the handles for plenty of things: compression straps, belts, stitch a few together for "rope" (roll it up flat for compact storage: good for suspending tarp shelters, don't use for real load-bearing applications). You might even sew some into a cargo net (or use it as the base for camouflaging a position).

Fatso said...

Mike, or anyone else for that matter; are bandoleers the preffered method of carrying ammo?

May sound like a dumb question, but I am not experienced with that sort of thing. I just figured I would carry an ammo can. However, the more I think about it, the more I find that to be a dumb idea.

frosty2 said...

I already use these, here are a few suggestions. Carry one intact in your camp ruck for gathering nuts, berries, mushrooms, fish or whatever. If you know someone who drinks box wine have them save you the plastic bladders inside. These can be washed out, filled with water, put in bag and hung in camp. clip a small hole to pull out the spout. Cut out sides and you have a light duty firewood carrier. Cut in half width wise, stuff the bottom tightly with plastic grocery bags and sew the top shut. You them have a camp pillow or a rest to shoot your rifle off off without scratching up your truck hood. They are quite useful.
frosty2

Anonymous said...

They will be the perfect size for carrying a big batch of reichsmarks I mean 'dollars' while walking to the local market (won't be able to afford gas)and 'presto' the bag full of 'dollars' will convert to a loaf (or maybe 2) of bread.............

Anonymous said...

Save them for the "heads" :^) They ought to hold about four each without breaking the handles.

Anonymous said...

Sew some velcro on it and ya got a roll up dump pouch.

WV: redno
exactly!