Wednesday, March 25, 2015

It Can Be Done.


Almost four years ago, I posted this about a volume of poetry that dates from the 1920s: "Fate only picks on the cowards and quitters, So give 'em both barrels--and aim for the eyes." I've been struggling with health and other issues lately (headed to the doctor again today), so I pulled down It Can Be Done again last night to peruse its pages. As I wrote then:
And finally, I think, my favorite of them all. I vividly recall Bob Wright's recitation of this poem of Grantland Rice's, entitled On Down the Road, at a militia FTX campfire back in 90s out at "Fort Stinking Desert," New Mexico. I knew it, of course, but nobody can recite it like Bob.
 Hold to the course, though the storms are about you;
    Stick to the road where the banner still flies;
    Fate and his legions are ready to rout you--
    Give 'em both barrels--and aim for their eyes.

    Life's not a rose bed, a dream or a bubble,
    A living in clover beneath cloudless skies;
    And Fate hates a fighter who's looking for trouble,
    So give 'im both barrels--and shoot for the eyes.

    Fame never comes to the loafers and sitters,
    Life's full of knots in a shifting disguise;
    Fate only picks on the cowards and quitters,
    So give 'em both barrels--and aim for the eyes.


    -- Grantland Rice, From "The Sportlight."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to rememmber another verse
writer from c. 1940s. Not E. Merrill
Root, but someone who was cited in the
same [print] "venues" as EMR.

The quotation and book cite are much
appreciated

PO'd American said...

Poetic Justice!

prambo said...

Good luck and God speed today at the Doc, Mike.

We'll all have you in our thoughts and prayers - giv'em Hell and both barrels.

Best regards,
prambo

skybill said...

Hi Mike,
'Just stopped by for a "Check in" getting ready to go battle the "Walmartians!!"
Glad I did, all I can say.. ..............."Right ON!!!!"
Your Man in Louisiana,
Got Gunz??,
skybill-out

Anonymous said...

Hopefully good news from the doctor, and an excellent choice on the poem.

Anonymous said...

Mike and Readers
Respectfully Gentlemen and Ladies.....

I know the discussions here. I've no need to howl of 2A, it's irrelivent, perhaps after you read ..you may agree ...in a small way and perhaps you'll double down, ALL GOOD Both Relevant!!

Call me what you will , "this post"...Doesnt give you even slight insight into me. You may attempt some sort of mental/intellectual thought , extraction, reasoning of who i am wether to agree with, disagree with, reason away, dismiss me, classifiy me, stuff me into a box..

FAIR...., you put your head up , Someone will shoot!
I accept the terms. Though not my intent , Either Way.

The Enemy doesnt always Lie, Dis-inform, Propogandize, etc...that said...
Allies don't always ... Tell the whole story, the truth, lend a hand, believe as you...etc.

For your considerstion & perhaps OS/"open forum" thoughts is the linl below. Please...I've No Interest in traitor or hero, guilty or not type conversation, there is more than enough places to recieve or engage in that ....

"I believe this topic affects all of US, and not necessarily from opposing views."

How do you "Plan Anything..." Without a Modicum of Privacy or Secrecy... Let alone Defend a Assault

"The man that requires no privacy or secrecy....is Very Dangerous to US all!"

This is a New Age of COM's , the Topic can't be shoo'D away with Blind Patriotism or Radical NO Secrets Society Mentality!

As i said , the enemy doesnt always decieve , lie, mis-inform or propagandize. I am WELL aware of the Source... That said....

This is New and I found it ...worth Reading

Thanx

http://cryptome.org/2015/03/NSA_surveillance_program.pdf

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

the Plinker said...

With enormous respect to Rice and Mike V., I'm "borrowing" that poem for future reference.

BWBandy said...

Not a fan of poetry however I like this.

Anonymous said...

my copy just arrived
thanks for the recommendation