Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Anecdotes of The Great Obama Gun Rush


Reality TV: A One Act Play in the Age of Obama. (Suspension of belief is not required as it actually happened.)

Scene: Gun shop in northern Colorado, earlier today.

Scenery: On the counter, a thousand round case of Winchester .45 ACP ball, full metal jacket.

Actors: An over-worked counter man; an interested observer off to the side; a tall, well-dressed middle aged man who looks like a college professor and appears very much out of place; his friend who looks not-so-much out of place.

What is happening: The credit card transaction is almost complete.

Dialogue: The "professor" turns to his friend and asks, "What does 'FMJ' mean?"

Counter help arches his eyebrow and exchanges significant glance with interested observer. Both stifle a chortle.

Exit stage right, one "professor" grunting under the load of a thousand "FMJs". His friend gets the door.

Related: In the basement of a certain government agency thousands of miles to the east, an analyst shifts nervously in his chair looking at the latest firearms and ammunition sales statistics. His report will not be well-received by his superiors.

6 comments:

CorbinKale said...

I happened to be in town last night, and decided to swing by Walmart to do the monthly addition to my ammo supply. I got the one box of 550 round 'value pack' .22 HP left. No ball .22 was available. I also got the last 200 rounds of 5.56 HP. No ball was available. No 9mm available.

The clerk said there was no word on when they might get re-stocked. Thank God, I started laying in ammo 3 years ago.

Anonymous said...

...ball .22?

Anonymous said...

...ball .22?

Not-hollow-point,probably 40gr.

.22LR is the new coin of the realm.

I'd sure like to have a Nagant revolver in .22LR 6".

Anonymous said...

Mike - Thanks for a good laugh, I needed it after work and perusing the blogs today. It's this way all over the place as I'm sure you know. I just wish I had more money and didn't have to move so I could buy a few more guns and some more ammo!

Anonymous - "ball" ammo is just round nose ammo with no hollow point or other special feature. It can be plain lead or metal jacketed. All CorbinKale could find was hollow points.

Anonymous said...

Not to be a stickler here on the definition of "ball" ammo, but the designation is military in its beginnings, and referred to plain old lead filled full metal jacket ammunition to differentiate it from AP (Armor Piercing) or API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) or Match (Special Ball) or, of course, the ubiquitous Tracer. At least, that's the way it was in the beginning.

Another nickname 'ball ammo' picked up when relating to pistol (.45 or other semi-automatic sidearms) ammunition is "hardball".

Now I'm not saying that .22 'round nose' hasn't picked up the nickname of 'ball' over the years, but it sure wasn't referred to that in the military...at least for the 21 plus years I was in...

The Mechanic said...

It pisses me off that I might have to take them out while they are taking me out.....