Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Anecdotes from the Great Obama Gun Rush: "Not a good time to stand in front of a fan."


Fan meet Mr. Excrement. Excrement, meet Mr. Fan.

I received the following anecdote from Yancey. For those of you, like me, who are unfamiliar with the store chain described below, Yancey explains:

Sportsman's Warehouse is a large, chain-type sporting goods store that seems to be mostly west of the Rockies. . . One more thing. When I mentioned to the assembled clerks that they had never stocked a lot of EBRs one of them told me that people were picking them up off the ground in Gaza right now and that we probably would be doing the same in a few months.

This from a store that is owned by, operated by and benefits the "Fudds" of the west! Buckle up, it's going to be a rough ride!


Yancey's Trip to Sportsman's Warehouse.

There really aren't many good things about getting older but one of them has to be 'experience'. By the time someone has reached "my age" there isn't really very much that can surprise him. Today I was totally gobstopped.

I've been reading here and in other places about the run on guns and ammo all over the country. Since I wasn't in the market for a new AR or AK or even for the ammo to feed them I merely read the posts and nodded wisely to myself as if I could have predicted it all. Little did I know.

Today I took a walk through the local Sportsman's Warehouse to see what they might have to interest me. There was the usual display of shotguns and "hunting" rifles behind the counter. As is usual for this store, there weren't any EBRs to be seen. Then I looked the other direction and saw that the ammo shelves were all but bare. Mildly surprised, I walked down the aisle which heretofore had displayed brass for reloading. Again, all but bare with only a few bags of .217 or some other odd size. The aisle which had been stacked high with bullets from Speer, Hornady and Nosler looked as if a storm had blown through, taking all the merchandise with it.

I talked to one of the sales clerks. He said they had everything back ordered but they didn't know when or even if they'ed ever see any product. A couple of other clerks wandered over and one said that all the election of Obama had accomplished was to arm America. Since they didn't have anything to sell we all just stood around talking. They told about guys who came in to buy a specific size of brass but ended up with something else that could be resized to fit. There were even people buying any size of brass so later they could trade for what they wanted.

Mike, I don't think this would be a good time to stand in front of a fan.



NOTE: The Sipsey Street Irregulars welcome your own anecdotes of the Great Obama Gun Rush. Feel free to forward them to GeorgeMason1776@aol.com.

5 comments:

Crustyrusty said...

Went into the local ChinaMart the other day and managed to get the last 2 boxes of 9mm. I mentioned this to the clerk and the guy in front of me said he got the other 2 boxes as an inauguration present. All they had left besides birdshot was .25 acp. Only guns left are the >$600 ones. It's looking pretty bad.

A few months ago I was in one of the local shops looking at a Mauser and I mentioned to the guy behind the counter that I was a recent refugee from Illinois and wasn't used to getting firearms this easily. He got this look on his face, worked the bolt once and said "You don't like that damn Barack Hoosein Obama, do you???" Needless to say the answer was no....

tom said...

Crustyrusty,

You should check out Cen Tex sometime. My local FFL has GE Miniguns and Mausers along with anything else you'd ever want and he's somewhat flexible on pricing if things don't move fast. I've got my eyes on a 1919a4 if it sits there long enough.

Anonymous said...

I just had a new Sportsman's Warehouse open near me in Las Vegas. They've got a decent selection of "sporting" rifles and shotguns, but the firearms part of the store is slow to fill up. They normally carry Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 for a good price which would be great for my AK, but it's been out of stock for weeks after a customer bought their entire stock.

I was at Bass Pro the other day and some sections like their hearing protection were just about out. The same went for most of their ammo for popular guns.

The local Wal Mart is keeping up on ammo, but only because they re-stock the sporting good counter a couple of times per day. The guy there says in five years the most he'd seen go through that register was about $5000. They did $12,000 the other day.

I've noticed a lot more people at the shooting ranges and a lot of those people are quoting Charleton Heston's line about "my cold, dead hands."

Anonymous said...

Kind of off topic but we just came back from Jamaica today. Taking the bus from the resort to the airport we saw ten different check points where there were military officers checking for drugs/weapons. It made out 1 hour trip turn into 3 and it was a stark reminder as to how bad it is to live in a police state. Lets hope we all prevent this from happening here.

Anonymous said...

Visit Illinois. The stock is perfectly fine at Cabela's, Gander Mountain, GAT Guns, and Megasports. I just got 5 100 round boxes of FMJ .30 S&W for $22 each at the Farm And Fleet on Monday.