Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Well, that last leg damn near killed me. "I'm going back to Alabama where everyone is, without exception, armed and therefore unfailingly polite."

I'm back in Alabama. Barely. After traveling from Denver to Memphis to Atlanta, I rediscovered that the Delta-ese term "gate change" actually means "death march." The changes -- from concourse to concourse, and then again from one of the second concourse to another -- damn near killed me. Couldn't find a vehicle to hire so I had to march at speed with my two bags -- something I shouldn't even have tried. By the time I got home I had avoided a heart attack but was completely, utterly spent. I'll have a report later today, but what sticks out in memory is a moment in Denver after being trampled, cursed and elbowed aside for the umpteenth time, someone asks me where I'm headed. "I'm going back to Alabama," I replied, "where everyone is, without exception, armed and therefore unfailingly polite."

7 comments:

iwitness02 said...

Sounds like a bad dose of culture shock at the airport. There really is no place like home.

Anonymous said...

See you Saturday, Mike!

Jaque said...

I will never again take a flight that requires making connections in Atlanta. I too have had such an experience in Atlanta and when we finally reached the gate we were told the plane had left. There were about 25 of us that got left behind. Lesson Learned-save your coins for a nonstop flight, or drive. I made the decision to no longer Fly, unless an urgent family event requires it. Flying in the US today is a far cry from how nice it was 35 years ago when I flew often as my job required it. Today flights are crammed full of diseased 3rd world migrants and grossly overweight people. Have a disagreement with a flight attendant about a seat selection, or a rude passenger who is so obese they occupy their seat and yours and they will have TSA yank you off the plane. Why has air travel gotten so rotten today ? G O V E R N M E N T.

Anonymous said...

I haven't flown since 2000 and am glad of it. I would have driven to CO to see the jerk's face when you said " "I'm going back to Alabama," I replied, "where everyone is, without exception, armed and therefore unfailingly polite."
Did this comment produce a heart attack?
Ray in GA

j said...

welcome home.

MissAnthropy said...

Here's a little factoid about the Atlanta airport: the automated people mover carries more people per year than any other transit system in the world.

I've had to do the dash between concourses there myself. My calf muscles were on fire by the time I finally got seated on that Greyhound in the sky.

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize. I've worked 9 years in Detroit, while my home is near the Melbourne, FL airport. For most of those 9 years, only Delta flew in to Melbourne (there were some issues about the airport manager taking kickbacks from Delta to "discourage" competitors), and I pretty much HAD to fly through Atlanta. I didn't usually take luggage, so I would shave the layover close. There was one time when I arrived in Atlanta near the end of one concourse, got off the plane, checked the board at the end of the jetway to verify the gate for my next flight hadn't changed (it hadn't), I hustled two concourses over and out to the end to the proper gate, and got there just in time to hear the announcement that the gate had been changed. To the gate right next to my arrival gate. At least I DID make the flight.