Thursday, June 9, 2011

"These are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary."

My thanks to The Arctic Patriot for reminding me of this quote:

"To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you’re all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." - Jerry Pournelle


A recent example: Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully he won't die as a result of a SWAT raid.

pdxr13 said...

Queen Elizabeth II on Wednesday awarded Britain's second-highest award for bravery, the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, to Acting Sgt. Dipprasad Pun of the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

While stationed as a lone sentry at a checkpoint in Afghanistan's Helmand province on September 17, Pun fended off an attack by up to 30 Taliban fighters.

"There were many Taliban around me," Pun said in an interview with British Forces News. "I thought they are definitely going to kill me. ... I thought before they kill me I have to kill some of them."

A quote for the ages!

Cheers.

hellferbreakfast said...

Swat raid???? Don't think they'll want to mess with him. They only go after the easy targets. I've been in LE. Most are picked for sheer human mass, not brains.