Sunday, May 16, 2010

Alvie D. Zane's musical take on Sipsey Street.



Folks,

Back when I was a bit beat down and feeling sorry for myself, I received this email from Alvie D. Zane. I have to admit, it made me laugh at a time when I sorely needed it.

Mike,

I know these are the times that try men’s souls. It’s got to be tiring trying to be an the International Man of Mystery, agent for MI-6, Mossad and others. You’re hated on the right for being right and by left for having left. Not to mention trying to heal the foot and just live your life. I thought I’d send you some e-cheer that recalls back an earlier undercover assignment of yours on Public Television.

You may have some people fooled, but I know you were Oscar the grouch on Sesame Street back in the day. Oh sure, it looks like a plain galvanized trash can. But we all know it’s a steel reinforced fighting position with a quick acting hatch and NBC filtration inside. There’s no hiding that green ghillie suit. And did you ever notice how the count always hesitated at. . .brace yourselves . . . Three. (III !) It would have come to me sooner if you’d have had your boonie hat on, but I understand. It was the ‘70s after all you couldn’t be so obvious about such things back then.

(Sung to the Sesame Street tune)

Sunny Day
Sweepin' the “prags” away
On my way to get up off my feet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sipsey Street?

Come and play
Praxis are A-OK
Three Percenters there
That’s where we meet

Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sipsey Street?
How to get to Sipsey Street?

Repeat…


As John Spade says in, I’m Gonna Git You Sucka!, “They’re my theme music. Every hero’s got to have some.” So here’s hoping this theme song totally offends Big Bird, Elmo, Bert and Ernie, The Count, PBS, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting et al. That cookie monster on the other hand is all right by me.

Alvie D. Zane
III


4 comments:

drjim said...

Pretty cool. I'm happy to hear he put a little sunshine in your life that day.
Hang in there, Mike. We need you to keep up the good fight in such an eloquent manner.
I hope your current medical treatment goes well, and your back to your best soon.
Jim
UMSC
III

Anonymous said...

Dadgummit, now that's gonna be stuck in my head for a week at least!

BoarHawg

Happy D said...

Cookie Monster sold out. Didn't you catch him singing about eating fruit?

Dennis308 said...

Damn right, the Cookie Monster is Cooool.

Dennis
III
Texas