Tuesday, February 3, 2015

My apologies for being absent and Herschel Smith's advice.

It's been a rough couple of days, and busy as well, so I was unable to get back here and do the posting I wanted to do. My apologies. That said, in the interim I have received, by every means that one can receive communications these days, a lot of advice on the WA trip. Most of it was offered in sincere concern, almost all thoughtfully, some prayerfully, and a tiny minority of it obscene, malign and, of course, anonymous.
One good thing that came of this process (and I would be lying if I said that this wasn't part of my intent from the beginning) was to encourage people to think seriously about what armed civil disobedience means in the present context. Not just for me, but for them, for us all. Your arguments have not fallen on deaf ears -- mine or others. Many of them against going are extremely persuasive. But I did not ask for your opinion just to have an excuse not to go. This isn't about "face-saving," either way. Leaders lead. And strangely enough, to my mind, a lot of folks consider me a leader. Now, leaders are also required to use good judgment in picking battles. But leaders are further tasked with coming to the support of the guys on the line who are in the middle of a fight. If I go, it is because I think that this particular fight -- and these particular people -- deserve my support, need my help and that I have a reasonable chance of accomplishing that AND at the same time, advancing the overall cause of liberty. If I am mistaken, if we fail miserably through own own inattention or stupidity or enemy action or even blind chance, our cause will be set back and I will look like history's dumbest goat. If we succeed in forcing the issue farther down the battlefield, some will call us geniuses. We -- that is, me and the folks in WA state who chose not to back down in the face of this latest infringement -- will be neither, of course. We will just be folks who saw a need, took a calculated risk and won. Or lost. Sometimes (most often if you are smart) you get to choose your battles. Sometimes the battle chooses you. Herschel Smith discusses some of this and has the following advice for me:
That’s what I recommend for Mike. Amusement is appropriate in some circumstances. But if you want to go to WA, do it. If you don’t, then don’t. Here is how you tell folks your decision. You simply tell them. That’s the end of it.
Okay. Good advice. So here goes: I asked for your thoughts, folks, and listened to them, mulled them over and frankly was impressed and humbled by their cogency, loyalty and depth of feeling. You came up with points that I must admit that I hadn't considered or gave too little weight to in the beginning. I asked for your thoughts, but I didn't ask for your permission. It is my call, and only I can make it. I am going, as I always knew I would have to. Through the incredibly generous support of you, my readers, I fly out to Seattle on Thursday and will fly back on Monday. I hope to meet with as many of you as I can when I am out there. Whether I am right, and exactly what happens on the ground on Saturday is subject to enemy action but it is all, and always, in God's hands. Please keep me, and the resistance fighters on the line in Washington state, in your prayers.
LATER: After I wrote this, I received this observation by email from reader James: "You only have one death. Spend it wisely." To which I replied, "I'll try to postpone that as long as possible and make it count for as much as I can. I promise you."

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes and Godspeed. I had some of the same thoughts on my way to the Bundy Ranch and what turned into the "Battle of Bunkerville". In the end, I am glad that I went (with a side arm) it was a highlight of my life. Hopefully you and the others in Olympia will look back proudly on this coming weekend.

TimeHasCome said...

Mike you are in my prayers. History hinges on very small acts.

GA Patriot said...

I wish you well in WA. You bearded the Dragon once in Bundy and made it blink. I don't know how many times you may be able to do it again before the mask is dropped. I fear the terrified proggies will insist on an aggressive reaction on the 7th.

William V. Wood said...

Go with GOD Mr. Mike.

prambo said...

I, at the least, respect your decision, even though I waffle on whether one negative event could cause you, not the "movement ", direct harm.

Thus, there is only one response I can make : where is the best way to send some $$$, and to wish God speed and protect you all..

From behind enemy lines in NewYorkistan,
Take care and CY6.
prambo

Anonymous said...

You can go and support without going and being armed and risk being arrested (killed in a cross fire may be another story). Maybe do that...and rabble rouse. ;)

Anonymous said...

I will pray and fast for you & the courageous patriots taking up this fight. I'm out of resources to assist financially, but, what I have I offer.

Anonymous said...

Dutchman6 ,I say God speed and Good Luck. My thoughts n prayers are with you Sir... Behind Lines in Unconstitutional, Collectivist Ct. We Will Not Stand Down. AAA/O.11B20.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you decided to go. I also hope you mind friends council. In staters should go armed to keep the feds out of it for now. Out of staters are best off not to go armed. After all, it's their statehouse, not yours.

I see your presence as positive because you and others like you demonstrate that folks all over the nation are watching - and able to see what happens there going around the Old Media Filter.

I suggest this while you are there - a local hands you a firearm to "inspect" and to "observe" and "enjoy it's beauty". Indeed, this could be done with every local person there, one right after the other. It makes the point, while keeping YOU in the clear and you also have direct participation (in order to negate the always present criticism no doubt drooling over yet another broken window story).

Mike V, you get it. You understand. You SEE that this particular situation WILL be viewed as a TURNING POINT in our history. Either LEO stands down, the legislature stands down OR gubmint demonstrates massive persecution for simple exercise of enumerated rights. I truly believe that our Constitution, will either make a resurgence because of this event or its the death knell of it. I think you know that - and I think that's why you decided (inside) that you do have to go.

Mike V, I believe you feel as I do - that we are held responsible by our posterity. You don't EVER want your kids or their kids to ask "why didn't dad stand up to this as it was happening?" And "why did grandpa just stand idle, watching this happen - after warning about it in so many of his writings?" Some don't see that history DOES remember, forever, what each of us does and doesn't do. Be smart, be safe and remember, Patriots win in the end - even if it looks like they are losing all game long. ;)
Godspeed Sir. And to hell with the naysayers. You ARE doing the right thing.

Anonymous said...

Bold steps sometimes seem like foolish ones.

William M said...

Although I am biased as a CT resident, and as such view the goings on in Connecticut and New York as the biggest fish in the pan, I lived in Washington a few years, and see their fight as the "western front" of our same battle. No less important, in my mind.

I've seen you speak before, and I know that when you speak on matters that you are passionate about, you can get fiery.

You know as well as anyone that doing this on "their" turf is going to make them antsy to say the least. So, perhaps the words of Captain John Parker are most appropriate in this case:

"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Anonymous said...

Regards and prayers from Bellevue, Ohio.
I could not let the chance to get on here and tell you sir how thankful I am to you as well as guys like Dave Codrea and Kurt Hoffman for waking me up. A long time ago I found a piece you wrote which I still have that talked about rule of " No Ft. Sumters ". It caused me to do much thinking about the moral code we as Riflemen must adhere to. The more I look at how criminal and morally bankrupt TPTB are the more I know you are right. Give them their own rope, and tyrants will practically walk themselves into the noose. I do not want you in harms way but I understand and respect your decision. I knew you wouldnt back out and you were wise to sit back and at least listen to wise counsel. If nothing else as you say you now have heard some things you hadnt considered before. More knowledge to arm yourself with when you go. I pray for your sucess and for not only your safety but for all who have taken the time to post here. Nothing can be more empowering than knowing I am not alone. And nothing fills me with more loathing and dread than the idea that there is a possibility we will see Americans fighting one another. Again. It is shameful and heartbreaking. I love America. I love all who have truly fought for her. It is the reason my children are safe and free. Those who would desecrate that, who would burn my flag piss all over my Constitution, pollute my kids' minds with Marxist trash need to realize there are special places in Hell for them waiting for their crimes. Godspeed and good luck, Mike. - The Bellevue Headhunter

Richard C. Chiu said...

May the Lord bless and keep you, and send His angels of mercy to accompany you as you continue to accompany those in distress.

I respect the prudence and judgement of those who say that you are indispensable. But what makes you, or any other man, indispensable is not the powers of the mortal body, but the strength of the spirit within. What must not be dispensed isn't physical health and safety, but honor, courage, faith, and love of God and all His children.

Most of all, the freedom that is the ordained purpose of our human existence. If this life does not teach us to be free, and to defend our freedom from all hazards, including both slavish devotion to base desires of the flesh and the enslavement to evil men made possible only because we love our mortal bodies more than we love God, then it is of no worth.

And if we do lose our lives, or some portion of them to imprisonment or injury, in fulfilling the purpose for which we were given life, well then that is no more sad than burning a bit of powder to bag a deer to feed our children. The only difference is that your next load of powder will be the same, but your next life will be incomparable to your current one.

MS OK III Ta2warrior said...

God bless you and yours Mike. You are in my and my family's prayers.

MS OK III Ta2warrior

breasonable said...

SO BE IT.

May the blessing of God be with you and keep you.
May your enemies and deceivers be bound both hands and feet and even their tongues that they may not whisper words of doubt in your ears.

Let the light of God shine upon you that the darkness is conquered and liberty and freedom be proclaimed.

In Jesus name I pray.
Amen
Mahlon in Indiana

sofa said...

God Bless You, sir.

Ned said...

Best to you, Mike. I didn't weigh in on whether you should go. Stay well. We don't have a lot of voices like yours. You are the real deal. God bless, and may no harm befall you.