Saturday, August 13, 2011

One from the archives. An early email to "Gunwalker Bill" Newell.

-----Original Message-----
From: georgemason1776 (georgemason1776@aol.com)
To: william.newell (william.newell@atf.gov)
Sent: Wed, Feb 2, 2011 1:44 pm
Subject: So, before you run off to Mexico, I thought I'd drop you a line to congratulate you on your new job.

William D. "Bill" Newell
SAC, ATF Phoenix

My dear Bill,

First, I know it must be hectic around the office these days what with press people to ward off, inconvenient Senators' questions to finesse, a cover up to maintain, employees to threaten -- just busy, busy, busy. I want to ask if you've retained a lawyer yet, but I'm sure you wouldn't tell me. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

But hey, you start Darren Gil's old job on 8 May, so maybe you think you can run off south of the border, get a little peace and quiet, and savor the fact that you finally have what you have always wanted. You were jealous of Gil, weren't you? When he got the job instead of you, I mean. Is that why you cut him out of the intelligence loop on Fast and Furious, etc.?

Unfortunately, since the death of Brian Terry the only thing going fast and furious is your career down the toilet. Karma, neh?

Anyway, I just wanted to caution you about that whole Mexico gig. I mean, the Mexican government now knows that you conspired to keep them in the dark about the 2,000 plus "walked" firearms. I just fielded another set of questions from somebody in Mexico who hit hard on that very subject. Surely after this story of the Project Gunwalker scandal -- which now has legs -- begins really walking (I know, bad pun), you're not going to be their most popular gabacho. They'll always wonder if you're lying to them again. I would too. I mean, you haven't really demonstrated that you're a stand up guy, now have you?

You almost have to wonder why Eric Holder wants you down in Mexico City after all this. Dangerous place, Mexico. Maybe he's hoping you're not around for the hearings. Be pretty ironic if some pollero or coyote shot you with one of the "walked" rifles, eh? Damned tragic. I'd hate to see that happen for no other reason that it would be extremely convenient for Eric Holder, who doesn't need any breaks on his cover up. As for me, I desperately want you to stay healthy for the hearings. You know, under oath and all that.

It just occurred to me, and not for the first time, that maybe YOU ought to be looking up Senator Grassley. The guilty need whistleblower protection more than the innocent, you know. Remember, advantage goes to the first guy to roll on his conspirators. But of course you knew that already. So, if you don't have his number, Bill, feel free to contact me. Heck, I talk to those Congressional guys ALL the time.

Just a thought.

Other than that, congrats on your new job. I rather suspect that unfortunately the Mexicans are going to love you to death.

Here's hoping you stay safe. Vaya con Dios.

Mike Vanderboegh
The alleged leader of a merry band of Three Percenters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent touch on the "Vaya con dios". I love Point Break.