Sunday, May 22, 2011

Praxis thought: Improvised LBE

Forwarded by Irregular Gifted.


Thought this might be of some interest, with the recent focus on LBE.

I'm not sure how exactly we acquired this, but this is a case for a camera flash. It's got a thin leather shoulder strap, and is otherwise made out of pretty durable leather. I've attached a few pics, feel free to use them.

I acquired it for my own use, and when I got my Ishapore Enfield(.308), it became an impromptu ammo case. As you can see from the pictures, a 5 round stripper fits perfectly, and they can be stacked back and forth, about seven layers deep, though I don't have that many stripper clips. That's over a hundred rounds, though I'm again not sure if it'd actually support the weight.




This isn't perfect, but it gives me an option for carrying my ammo around until I get a proper set of web gear set up. The strap will probably dig too much without padding, and without a belt to hold it down like you've mentioned a few times, it'll flop around a lot, but hey, it was free. You've probably seen a number of things like this in thrift shops that could be drafted for various purposes.

Another thing to mention are old pants. Legs cut off at a desired length and sewn shut on one end and you have a bag. Sew on some nylon strapping and there you have a shoulder bag. If you have cargo pants, watch your cuts--you can get the section with the pouch on it off in one piece, and that gives you an extra pouch. Pants that have the zip off legs can be cut off just above the zipper, and with that closed, you have an easily seal-able bag. A plain jeans or BDU leg can give you a decent mag drop bag if you like though.

5 comments:

Dakota said...

Another thing that I do with old BDUs is cut the cargo pockets off and save them, (with the backing intact). Using Sack patching cement and soaking both the surfaces to be glued together I have a large inside cargo packet on both sides (inside) of my field jacket and other places wherever needed.

PKL said...

I have a similar set up with a nylon camera case that can carry 120 rnds of 7.62x54r in stripper clips stacked just like that. It also has a pocket where I keep the tools and cleaning kit.

Anonymous said...

Perfect cammo, hidden in plain sight. Maybe a camera bag and a tripod bag to house a break down rifle too.

Anonymous said...

Most such cases have belt-loops on the back. Add a pad cut from an old kids' bookbag/backpack to the shoulder-strap and you're in like flynn...

I did something similar with the Hungy AK-mag pouches. 2 of them on a pistol-belt, shoulder-straps criss-crossed over shoulders/chest/back (bag on left of belt, strap on right shoulder/bag on right of belt, strap on left)...

It ain't pretty, but I can step into (10) 30-round Mags in a few seconds...

Done right, a pant-leg makes a GREAT dump-pouch. Use a piece of stiff copper wire to make a frame to keep the top open - easy to close with one hand in a hurry - just bend the wire.

HTH...

Anonymous said...

RE: Pants leg cutoffs, I've used jean cutoffs for years as padded carriers going to and from the range for my SBRs, subguns and pistols.

I cut off the legs of jeans that either don't fit anymore or have worn through in the ass or have ratty looking front pocket tops
then triple stitch up the cuff end and hem the top over one inch for potential drawstring use. A thirty inch boot lace would work very well for this.
They work well but a caution should be mentioned against using them for any long term storage, the cloth will act to attract and hold moisture. When empty, I store them hanging up in a climate controlled(dehumidified)garage.

They also make excellent carriers for loose odds and ends including tools, spare subgun barrels and range brass which I always end up with after shooting.