Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"The Servant in Battle"

I ran across this title yesterday in a bookstore, The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions by Arthur Bennett. I bought it on the strength of just this one prayer entitled "The Servant in Battle" on page 179:
I bless thee that the issue of the battle between thyself and Satan has never been uncertain, and will end in victory.
Calvary broke the dragon’s head, and I contend with a vanquished foe, who with all his subtlety and strength has already been overcome.
When I feel the serpent at my heel may I remember him whose heel was bruised, but who, when bruised, broke the devil’s head.
My soul with inward joy extols the mighty conqueror.
Heal me of any wounds received in the great conflict; if I have gathered defilement, if my faith has suffered damage, if my hope is less than bright, if my love is not fervent, if some creature-comfort occupies my heart, if my soul sinks under the pressure of the fight.
O thou whose every promise is balm, every touch life, draw near to thy weary warrior, refresh me, that I may rise again to wage the strife, and never tire until my enemy is trodden down.
Give me such fellowship with thee that I may defy Satan, unbelief, the flesh, the world, with delight that comes not from a creature, and which a creature cannot mar.
Give me a draught of the eternal fountain that lieth in thy immutable, everlasting love and decree.
Then shall my hand never weaken, my feet never stumble, my sword never rest, my shield never rust, my helmet never shatter, my breastplate never fall, As my strength rests in the power of thy might. Amen.
Unfortunately, the original writer of this prayer is not attributed, nor are any of the other selections. Still, whoever wrote it, the words echo through the centuries and it came to me just at the right time.

11 comments:

Aaron said...

Excellent, and quite encouraging. Thanks for putting that up.

Anonymous said...

Wow. It blessed me too Mike. Thank you for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
An excellent prayer, for all of us.
More words fail me at this time. . ..

G-d bless you and your efforts.

(it's getting dusty over here, allergies kicking in)

B Woodman
III-per

Maxwell said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful prayer.

Anonymous said...

That's a good prayer..

Anonymous said...

Just the right time as well.
Amen.

Baja Blitzer said...

Beautiful,timely,and a reminder of He who controls all, fight on in His armor brothers

craig said...

That is a GREAT little book that is filled with prayers that you will wish you had written yourself! Blessings to you and yours!

DC Wright said...

Beautiful prayer. Timely, too. Mike, thank you for this, and for ALL you do.

Semper fi, my brother. May our God richly bless you.Do

D. C. Wright,
USMC Retired
III/OK
Still a sheep dog and His warrior

Baja Blitzer said...

Amen DC