Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Praxis: There are many ways to make love to woman. Same goes for your firearm.

"NOOB" has left this comment on FM 21-15 below.

Sir:

Would you please post a (definitive) Praxis report on how to clean a weapon? I can field strip and run patches, but am I using the right cleaners? Patch size? Dry lube? Finishing lube? Wood care? The Forums of Babel are uselessly over-opinionated, so I appeal to you sir.

Regards,
N00B.


Dear NOOB,

There are many ways to make love to a woman. The same goes with firearms. The only good thing is that most firearms are not as fickle.

As with women, much depends upon the type of firearm. Each has its particular needs. If you have an AK, for example, and use corrosive ammunition, you're going to need to use soap and water (a little ammonia never hurts and urine is a good field substitute) and pay particular attention to scrubbing the head of the gas piston (and don't forget the handguard tube). Pipe cleaners are required for the gas port.

On an AR system, you would never stoop to such crudities.

For my M14S clone China Doll, she seems to prefer Sweet's to kill the copper fouling. Others think this is an awful waste of money. To each his own. So I would say, if you would let us know what weapons you will be cleaning, we can perhaps come up with a praxis to suit you. Mindful, as I said, that each weapon is like a woman with her own particular needs.

Mike
III

6 comments:

milkorder said...

Noob,

Buy an AK and never clean it.

The Trainer said...

NOOB is right about opinions on weapon cleaning. They're endless. But facts are facts.

On solvent: At home, the best solvent going that removes copper, lead, and carbon is one that was developed for Air Force 20mm aircraft cannon. It's called "MPro-7". It works.

I use it exclusively for routine cleaning. It also makes the wife happy because there's no smell.

Once a year I use Sweet's 7.62 for the same reason the Dutchman does, but I follow it up with MPRO-7 to remove the amonia residue, which keeps eating away at the bore (even a slight residue will do it) unless neutralized.

Patches, ideally, should only be run from the breech to the muzzle and then one time. If you have a weapon that won't allow that, like the M-14 type rifle, then you have to run it from the muzzle to the breech, but still only once.

Clean the chamber. Did I mention clean the chamber? Chamber fouling is responsible for more failures to extract than any other malady.

Understand that when it comes to rifles, "lube" means grease and "lubricant" means light oil. This means you need to know what part needs which type of friction reducing agent.

Old school bore scrubbing is two full strokes (one in and one out) for each round fired, maxing out at about 60 full strokes.

These are no-fail ways to help keep your rifle clean and operational.

Anonymous said...

First I should say that to me, firearms are tools. I don't own any "fine" guns - they're all shooters. While I endeavor to take good care of them - they may save my life someday - if they can't handle some rough use I just don't want them. I own ONE ~$2k shotgun I won in a raffle, otherwise they're all milsurps or otherwise old and well-used, with the sole exception of a few pistols - these don't get any special treatment either...

I use Ed's Red, stored in a new-bought paint-can. I put the muzzle in the can and run the rod in and out from the breech-end so it dips in the solution at the end of every down-stroke. Let the can sit for a couple of days and all the "crap" will settle to the bottom. Carefully pour off clean solution into another can.

Pistols: Remove all plastic and rubber parts, toss the rest in the can. I've left my Maks in there for weeks. Brush bore as usual before re-assembly.

I made up a batch of Ed's with lanolin but no acetone - works GREAT for lube and preservative, damn nice on the skin as well...

For corrosive ammo, I just douche it out with windex a few times, then plug the bore with a foam earplug, stand on end and fill 'er up. Let sit for a few minutes then douche out with a garden-hose.

WD-40 next - to eliminate the water - then preserve with the aforementioned eds/lanolin solution.

HTH/YMMV, etc

WV:"die rick f"... Who is Rick F and why do we want him to die? I mean, I could see if it said "die eric h" but... ;o)

DC Wright said...

Mike, I am trying to get in contact with you by email, but I keep getting an error message that my email won't go through. Would you please get in contact with me (dcwusmc@sbcglobal.net) and let me know what I am doing wrong. I believe it would be mutually helpful to our cause of liberty.

Thanks.

D.C. Wright

Anonymous said...

There are many ways to make love to a woman. The same goes with firearms. The only good thing is that most firearms are not as fickle.

As with women, much depends upon the type of firearm. Each has its particular needs. If you have an AK, for example, and use corrosive ammunition, you're going to need to use soap and water (a little ammonia never hurts and urine is a good field substitute.--MVB

Mike, did it occur to you that conjoining love-making and urination was an unfortunate comparison?

Yuck! Choose a different analogy.

MALTHUS

Concerned American said...

One other lesson I have picked up:

If it slides, it gets grease.

If it hinges, it get oil.

Most rifle and pistol parts slide.