Sunday, November 25, 2012

Just got back from my first gunshow viewed from wheelchair level.

My recovery from the strokes has been good, but while I can walk further and better than at anytime since the strokes, I don't have a whole lot of stamina and begin to go wobbly on my pins after a while. So, with the help of a friend, I did it in a wheelchair.
The show was, for me, a complete disappointment. Matt had sent some money so I could find him some items, but they were not to be found. For myself, I was simply looking for some cheap empty ChiCom/Soviet style wooden crates to nest two M19A1 cans per in (like the one below) to finish out a previous reloading job.
In the past, I've found them readily for a couple of bucks each. Nobody had any they wanted to part with. In the process of asking around I did find a fellow who simply gave one of this type below, but although I appreciated it and will find a use for the box, the entire experience wasn't worth the $8.00 admission.
We went early this Sunday morning, and the aisles were filling up as we left, but the prices on military-pattern semi-autos were ridiculous although there seemed to be ample stocks.
Also, trying to view anything from wheelchair level was both frustrating and dangerous, with the situational awareness of others being the main concern. Hopefully, by the next show I'll be done with wheelchairs.

10 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad to hear you're out and about a bit! And prices ARE just stupid...

Loren said...

I have one of those olive drab crates. I'm using it for general firearms accessory storage. When I can find the kit I packed away when I moved(or maybe just go ahead and buy a new one) I'll replace the latch with a lock hasp so I can lock it. In the AF we had lengths of steel cable with loops on the ends, loop it around something and put the lock around it, and it'll discourage casual snatches.

Anonymous said...

Suggestion: put a cow-catcher or spikes forward of the wheelchair. Failing that a gas-operated O-OO-GA horn!
Hopefully, you won't need any next time.

gfa

William Flatt said...

For $8, one could make the box and paint the darn thing!

Erinyes said...

Just for curiosity, why the need for the ChiCom crates when you have the ammo cans?

David Forward said...

I haven't been to a good gun show in Colorado for almost a year. Getting too much junk, newbies trying to play arms dealer and too many old hands holding out for prices that are unrealistic. While it's their right to charge whatever they want for their property, the only people I've seen buying from them are newbies.

Most of the former regulars who provided good merchandise and were willing to haggle a little for a fair mutual price are taking some time off to let things settle down at the shows. Meanwhile, some decent deals can still be found online on the private sales lists if you're willing to negotiate some.

Dutchman6 said...

Erinyes said... "Just for curiosity, why the need for the ChiCom crates when you have the ammo cans?"

For twenty years I have humped cans and crates in and out of various cache and storage settings. It is far easier to move, store and stack crates than individual cans.

David Forward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CowboyDan said...

Those ChiCom boxes are well built. I was going to ask you to take measurements inside & out and share them, but dovetail joints aren't easy to do.

Please share what you can, and I'll see if there's anything I can do to make your life easier.

Stay safe.

Erinyes said...

Thanks, Mike, I see now. Cowboy Dan: If you have a tablesaw, it's fairly easy to set up dovetail jigs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EootxBzj4Yk