Sunday, June 26, 2016

Coffee Alert - High in the running for the dumbest thing you will see today

Alabama councilwoman complains Holocaust memorial is racist because ‘it is for dead people 

I really have not had my finger on the pulse of Birmingham politics for a few years, but I am wondering at what point did the City Council become completely over-run with the irredeemably stupid? I know that cities can tolerate a certain amount of incompetence and graft and survive so long as there are enough people to pick up the slack. Pity. It used to be pretty nice.

"Tyson, who has previously asked the city to pay for repairs at the historically black Shadow Lawn Cemetery, said she didn’t understand why the city should help the privately funded memorial project.

Isn’t it still for dead people,” Tyson said. “It is for dead people. Aren’t the people they are memorializing deceased?”

"City Attorney Thomas Bentley, whose parents are buried in Shadow Lane, sighed and tried to explain how the black cemetery was a private entity, while the Holocaust memorial expressed the city’s remembrance."

I’m not sure I have the vocabulary or explanatory power to indicate the distinction although it’s clear to me from a legal standpoint that there is a distinction,” Bentley said."

I feel your pain, guy. I really do.

This is the oldest cemetery in the world,” Tyson said. “If this isn’t a tourist attraction I want to know what is."

In. Da. Wurl. Go big, or go home, right?  Not to be publicly admonished, the pack senses distress and comes to her aid.

“I know the difference,” [fellow Councilwoman] Scales said. “The difference is the haves and have-nots.”

Social Justice for the win. 

God, I love that town.

7 comments:

Jerry The Geek said...

I'm saddened (sorry, pc terminology) to discover that there are people in this country who are so divorced from the lessons of history that they are not only ignorant, but dismissive, of the past.

Maybe it's part of the problem that high-schools never teach "CIVICS" classes any more; maybe it's that it's "The ME Generation, Part II".

And maybe it's that the New Folks just don't give a shit about anyone they don't know ... personally.

I'm guessing a combination of the three, with emphasis on the third part.

Forgive me for even thinking this, but I sometimes wonder if "... the problem with America today is that we haven't had 'A Real War' for so long, that folks have forgotten what it's like to have to make sacrifices."

No, I don't want a war; been there, the t-shirt is shredded. But I remain concerned that there are too many people who are convinced that "War Will Never Happen Again!" And so they loll along in their comfortable lives, confident that they will never be required, personally, to shoot or be shot at by a determined foe.

I wish they were right; but I suspect they are wrong. I pity them for the Rude Awakening which will catch them so grievously unprepared.

Which does not speak well for our odds of winning another war.
Ever again.

Anonymous said...

Well, she can always get a job writing for "The Onion". If this were the 70's "Saturday Night live" or "SCTV" might also be in the cards...

Anonymous said...

And she has to stop plagiarizing the movie "Idiocracy"

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the comment by Voltaire. He said he was not a religious man. His only prayer was: "Lord, make my enemies look ridiculous." God granted it. Res ipsa loquitur.

PO'd American said...

"I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you!" They are out there and they are breeding like rabbits; God help us all.

Anonymous said...

Remember Ga. Rep Hank Johnson's question? Something about if the Navy sends a carrier to Guam, will it tip Guam over? As PO'd American noted above and my Sociology prof told me once "people that cause problems re produce at much higher rates than people that solve problems. Sometime in the future, we will be ass deep in problems." Boy, was he right. NOG

Anonymous said...

After Hurricane Andrew, one reporter asked the local weather guru if it was OK to flush a toilet with non-chlorinated water. Another once asked if the asteroid making a close pass by Earth was caused by global warming.

Yep, they're out there, they're employed, sometimes in positions that cause untold problems for others, and they vote.

Check this one out. The whole short story is available on a .pdf if you're so inclined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons