Thursday, June 9, 2016

Ain't that something





Soldiers faith: Rare Bible carried at the battle of Bunker Hill has moving Inscriptions


"A rare Bible from the battle of Bunker Hill will be exhibited at the Museum of the American Revolution when it opens in Philadelphia next year. The recently-acquired King James Bible is inscribed by American soldier Francis Merrifield, who thanks God for sparing his life in the bloody 1775 battle."

The inscription:

“Cambridge, Jun 17 1775.

I desire to bless God for his Kind aperince [sic] in delivering me and sparing my life in the late battle fought on Bunker’s Hill. I desire to devote this spared life to his Glory and honour.

In witness my hand, Francis Merrifield.”

2 comments:

Sean said...

I desire to bless G*d in His Kind Appearance in delivering me, and sparing my life in this battle of life thus far. I desire to devote this spared life to remaining free to worship Him, and keeping my fellow countrymen free as well. In witness, my hand, Sean.

Anonymous said...

A bible AND a museum commemorating the American Revolution?.. Isn't that somehow illegal or something under federal law??