Monday, September 30, 2013

Firearms as "pollution." David Codrea: "Pushing control instead of freedom may explain some of paper’s losses."

Citing the post-Newtown “push for sensible gun laws,” Larkin elaborates what he means by “modest,” promising “Nothing to offend those who fall asleep at night reciting the Second Amendment. He’s the arbiter of that, you see. “Just a few simple things like tightened background checks and curbs on assault weapons,” Larkin elaborates, citing recent draconian infringements in “Maryland, New York and Colorado [as] reasonable restrictions on guns. Again, he’s the one who presumes to define what's reasonable.
This is the piece David expertly deconstructs. I was particularly struck by this quote:
“You have to look at the gun industry. Look upstream at the gun industry. That’s where our problem lies. “They’re the worst polluters in America.”

4 comments:

Ed said...

I also have a "modest" proposal. I get to evaluate who may assert their First Amendment rights, using any arbitrary standard I may concoct.

That's "reasonable", isn't it? After all, we do need to reduce the "pollution" of much of the drivel we encounter from the likes of Larkin.

Anonymous said...

I really wish that David could get away from that EXAMINER.COM website so I don't have to put up with FULL PAGE advertising for Windex followed by a video and audio ad for a Michael J. Fox TV program. I cannot count the times that I had to FIGHT, just TO EXIT the EXAMINER page. This crap makes me very nervous to click on any of the EXAMINER web pages. I am sure that I am not alone here.

David Codrea said...

Anon, I do too, and I've done more than wish--I've applied, solicited, submitted, asked readers to recommend... I'm up for constructive suggestions, because I've tried everything I know how to do to find a way to feed my family and keep the lights on at this. In the mean time, you don't have to put up with it--I use Firefox with the Adblock add-on and never see the pop-ups or videos--which more and more sites are using to monetize, either that or putting their stuff behind a paywall. I note when I use IE, I see the same crap on WND and The Blaze, etc. As a matter of basic personal protection, it's incumbent on all of us as individuals to learn how to visit websites without intrusive harassment or worse, making ourselves susceptible to spyware and malware. If you try Firefox with Adblock, you'll be going a long way toward making the internet a more enjoyable experience all around. And after that, if you know anyone who's hiring...

Ken said...

Brent Larkin has been a reliable water carrier for TPTB for his entire career.

Example: I don't have a dog in the fight over the Sam Shepherd murder case, but long after Dr. Shepherd (along with pretty much everyone else involved) was dead, Larkin was still using his column to beat the "Shepherd was guilty!" drum.

I wondered at the time whose bidding he was doing....