Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Praxis: On-Line Resources on Casting Your Own Bullets.

The great ammo famine has been good for my knowledge base. Inability to afford/find factory ammunition has pushed me toward reloading, and by extension, casting my own projectiles. I am fortunate to have a good friend who has considerable experience at casting and rolling his own, but I have also found the following resources to be very helpful:
Xast Bullets by COL E. H. Harrison.
From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners by Glen E. Fryxell & Robert L. Applegate
Cast Bullets For Beginner And Expertedited by Joe Brennan
Also, when researching specific topics, you will find much at the CastBoolits forum.
By Labor Day, I hope to do an illustrated post on the recovery and rendering of range scrap back into usable projectiles. I am close to having recovered 200 pounds of range scrap projectiles and we'll see how many pounds of that we'll recover in the melt and put up as usable ingots for casting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out this method used by a shooting range to handle spent projectiles. Link: http://cedarridgerange.com/Lead_Reclaimation.html