Thursday, July 21, 2016

I was quietly hating myself for doing nothing.




Reparations.me is a website by Seattleite Natasha Marin, that is dedicate to the pursuit of having affluent whites divest themselves of their 400 years of oppression by giving it (whatever that might be.  We'll get to that in a minute) to the needs of People of Color.  Or something.

Her bio/explanation:

Natasha Marin is a conceptual artist working across disciplines and media to collaborate with People to create opportunities for meaningful IRL and digital engagement.

Reparations began as a social media experiment on Facebook on July 15, 2016.

What if you actually did something meaningful for someone before the end of the year?

What if a stranger restored your belief in humanity, if only for a moment, by supporting you and allowing you to claim something you need in a material way?

I invite People of Color to ask for what we need to feel better, be happier, be more productive by posting in this space. These may be both material and immaterial requests.

I invite people who identify as White to offer services or contributions to People of Color in need of time, energy, substantive care, and support. 

I don't want to put limitations on this social experiment, but here's how I imagine it might work:

POC 1: I need a massage. This week.
White Person 1: [posts Groupon with code for redemption]

POC2: I need therapy. I can spend $10 a session.
White Person 2: [posts contact information to a therapist who they have made arrangements with.]

POC 3: I need groceries.
White Person 3: "I'll get them for you. PM me and I'll send an Amazon Fresh or Safeway delivery. You just pick out what you want. I have a $200 limit."

POC 4: I'm too upset to make dinner. I live in Seattle.
White Person 4: "Come over to my house for dinner, bring a friend if you like. PM me and I'll send you the address, or can I order delivery to you? What kind of food do you like?"

POC 5: I need a quiet place to work on _________.
White Person 5: "I have an office, spare room, house, that will be unoccupied on the following dates, would you like to use that space? I can send pictures ..."

POC 6: I want to scream and cuss at someone.
White Person 6: "I volunteer as tribute. How do we set this up?" 

POC 7: I want to escape this cruel world in a *Specific Videogame* but can't afford it on Steam right now. This is not a crisis, I just don't trust people easily and want to see if this works.
White Person 7: Thank you for giving me the chance to do something concrete and relatively easy. I was quietly hating myself for doing nothing.

And now while you are ruminating on how far out of touch with reality and history people are I offer this for the next installment of the world gone mad. Notice the progressive cops reaction to the scene. 





16 comments:

RustyGunner said...

Bet none of her respondents ask for a clue, but I guarantee everyone involved desperately needs one.

Anonymous said...

Don't I pay reparations when I pay taxes that are redistributed to every welfare slut with her hand out????

How about we offer to pay for suicide and solve their grievances for good.

Anonymous said...

what does the last one even mean?

skybill said...

Hi Mike and Matt,
Watching that short vid at the end of this "White" man wanting to use a Public thoroughfare and being denied access by a bunch of "black's"!!! .........just gets my "COLD ANGER*" riled up a bit!!!! I hate to say but I had surface to the top of my thought what I felt at the time.....
"Herschel's Dictum,"
"There aren't too many human interaction problems that can't be fixed with a .45ACP 230 grain 'FAT BOY!!'"
-HERSHELL SMITH-
...................
AUDENTES, FORTUNA, JUVAT,
III%,
'Yer man in Manchac,
skybill-out
PS(*) As for "COLD ANGER" you can read about it over at Andrew Breitbart's blog ... If you haven't already!! It fits this scene above!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Eh, it's stupid and ignorant and I won't be supporting it, but at least it's completely voluntary. That makes it better than 99% of what our obscene governments do every day.

When you get down to it, this is just a misguided charity. I may not agree with it, but I support others' right to spend their time and money any damn fool way they choose, so long as it's not infringing on my rights.

Anonymous said...

I once saw a young white college boy on the NYC subway wearing a T-shirt with some kind of Black power slogan written on it. I just gave him a look and a smirk that said " you think that's gonna protect your skinny ass when you walk north of 96th street? Good luck!" He seemed to have read my mind, as he looked down at the floor avoiding eye contact...Moral of story: you wanna jump off the Verrazano Bridge, go ahead; just don't expect me to jump with you...

Anonymous said...

Donald Trump at RNC: I Will Protect the 2nd Amendment, Hillary Clinton Would ‘Abolish’ It

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/21/donald-trump-at-rnc-i-will-protect-the-2nd-amendment-hillary-clinton-would-abolish-it/

Anonymous said...

A BIC stick ballpoint pen (cap off, point up) held, with pressure, under Fat Bitch's chin, and a quiet request to either move aside or get the full length of the pen, would have, I'm sure, convinced Fat Bitch to move aside and let the Old White Gentleman pass by.

It's amazing what ordinary, everyday objects can be used as a weapon. Which just adds to the point that, "the mind is the only weapon. everything else is just a tool."

B Woodman
III-per

Anonymous said...

I never owned slaves, and they never picked cotton in the field.

They've had plenty of opportunity to get up off their fat duffs and get an education, and do something useful with their lives, but they've squandered it all "for a mess of pottage."

And I, and every other working, tax paying citizen (note: nothing said about color), have paid enough "reparations" through government enFORCEd taxes, so that argument won't work either.

B Woodman
III-per

Anonymous said...

BLACK GUNS MATTER !

I would support giving them a one-way bus ticket to the closest of Canada or Mexico as reparations. Includes White race-traitors too.

Anonymous said...

AYFKM.....

Anonymous said...

WTF, I work 12 to 18 hours a day because I can and build $hit for a living
N git my hard earned $ stolen to pay for these useless POS
Good luck to 'em when it all dries up
Um good...

Moe Death said...

My grandparents on both sides arrived in America in the late 1890s.

I don't owe anything to anyone, except courtesy upon meeting.

Domino is only six, but she doesn't care who pets her, as long it is with affection... unless they're mail carriers.

Bill and Domino
III

Anonymous said...

Give em 40 acres and a mule, in southern Utah. Require that they reside there for 7-12 years to establish their homesteads, and not take any other govt assistance.

Hey, would be a better deal than when they parked my cousins, uncles, ancestors on the damned reservations in South Dakota and Oklahoma.

Anonymous said...

Create a website or a page that mirrors everything that one does, in detail, changing only the location of the colors.

This tiny little change will instantly be called racist.
Gee, I wonder why that is?

Maybe because her page is racist in nature?

BobC said...

But, but...isn't the fact that she's using a computer and the internet "cultural appropriation"? Isn't that the kind of "micro aggression" that gets the academics all in a hissy fit?

Quick! Someone call the "Political Correctness" police!