Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The VA and firearm ownership.

Folks, I received this from a good friend, a retired Marine colonel. I do not know the provenance of it other than it came to him from another Marine he trusts implicitly. With that caveat lector, here's the e-mail.
Do you have a gun in your house? When I had my gangren(ous) gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond(ed) that if I did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit. FYI, I am passing this along... there are comments from two other people that have also been asked if they keep guns in the house. The nurse just kind of slipped it in along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask.
Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else. Just passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house? My answer was None of your business!! So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention.
Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!!
Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...Thanks, from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer:
I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED ! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom!!

13 comments:

SWIFT said...

Every time I go to the VA, I'm asked similar questions, one being if I am depressed or suicidal. I always answer, No, I want to live to see how this all turns out. Since Clinton was president, there is no such thing as confidentiality in your VA records. I know, I use to work for the VA for over 20 years. VA has some outstanding lower echelon employees. The higher up you go, the bigger shit bags you will find. This is true with VA general counsel also, except there, you will not find good people at any level. We're talking some really low-life scum. I saw it all first hand and flat out know of what I say.

Sean said...

I actually have been asked this by doctors and people on the phone. My reply is, " What color underwear do you have on?", in a tone like Kevin Spacey would use. Conversation dries up immediately.

J. Travis said...

If you ever are asked such a question, and answer in the affirmative, you are foolish.

Deny, deny, deny!

Anonymous said...

This NOT really new, it is just the latest 'version' of the hoplophobes (and control freaks in general). I was asked similar questions many years ago under the guise of 'health and welfare' issues. As the other responses indicated, it is NO ONE else's business whether you own firearms and especially whether you keep them loaded.

The Old Coach said...

I've been on Medicare since 2010. I changed doctors in 2013. No such questions.

Dakota said...

They always ask me those questions and I just laugh at them. The question is ridiculous in the first place. I have never been asked about guns by my V A, but I spose they will someday ..... soon.

Anonymous said...

Was just in the clinic last week. The nurse did ask a bunch of nosy-poke questions: did I have children? "None of your business"; did I have firearms? "None of your business." Hurried response: "I'll put down 'no'." "You do that."

steve.long.3 said...

Of course it's none of their business. Sadly, many of those who refuse to answer are also users of the internet or have conducted non-cash purchases of firearms, ammo or accessories. All of this is compiled and stored at data centers for automated retrieval. What blogs do you follow? What forums do you read or post in? What groups do you "like" on Facebook? In light of this increasingly serious, widespread attack I think a great defensive strategy might include mass legal filings against the perpetrators. Something that would tie up a lot of their resources in a big way. Not class action, not a test case but separate legal filings for each question asked each person by each provider's employee(s). It shouldn't be frivolous but a legitimate thing they would have to answer somehow. It would need to be simple and inexpensive for the aggrieved. Wish I had the knowledge of how to put it together. If someone could come up with the procedure we could get the instructions widely distributed.

CowboyDan said...

"If someone could come up with the procedure we could get the instructions widely distributed"

Seems like we have an attorney or two around. Maybe they'll pipe up.

We can hope, right?

I don't think it will be simple or easy unless we can show we were somehow damaged.

Matt Bracken said...

I haven't been asked yet, but I feel it coming. I think I'll say, "My turn. 1. Are you sexually active? 2. When did you lose your virginity?" (Etc.)

Matt Bracken said...

I haven't been asked yet, but I feel it coming. I think I'll say, "My turn. 1. Are you sexually active? 2. When did you lose your virginity?" (Etc.)

Joseph P. Martino said...

I'm going into the hospital Monday for surgery. Prior to going in, I had a telephone interview about my medical history. Two of the qestions where whether I feel stressed, or whether I feel confused. I hadn't connected them with gun confiscation, but now I'm wondering if that was the purpose behind them. Of course I answered no to each.

Anonymous said...

Questions asked in this manner, which are intrusive, and do not relate to the treatment at hand, are best left unanswered, to me, Dazed & Confused are lyrics by Led Zeppelin.