Sunday, May 12, 2013

Praxis: The Importance Of Pin Sizes on a 1911.

Good advice from a link forwarded by FG, who says:
I learned the "pin lesson" the hard way when my former primary carry gun, (a Springfield Armory 1911) had its barrel link work free on the pistol range jamming my piece due to a very well-worn pin.
Luckily for me this happened where I was actually able to learn from my experience (as were several of my astonished friends.)
Check ALL of your pins. Have spares. Get them while you still can.
The pistol you carry today may one day be protecting your grandson's family.
Make sure he'll be able to keep it running, too.

5 comments:

MSG Halfmast said...

It is not knowing how to fix a weapon after it breaks that's most important.
It's knowing how to do proper preventative maintenance checks and services to keep the item from breaking down at a most inopportune time in the first place that's most important.

Yes, it will cost more $$ to change 'suspect' parts out before they break, but the alternative can be lethal.

As the oldest Master Sergeant in the U.S. Army I have a question I always ask the troops:

"Would You Stake Your Life (right now) on the Condition of Your Equipment?"

Anonymous said...

Yes Top I would stake my life on it. And may I add that a full set of springs and a replacement firing pin are good thing to keep in your armors kit.

Anonymous said...

That's affirm, Top.

31B
III

Anonymous said...

Make sure the link is the correct length as well. A 7/16" hardwood dowel is the tool to use to check for correct lockup and unlocking. A link that is too long will cause hard recoil and premature wear. Too short a link can cause premature unlocking. Assemble the weapon without the recoil spring and insert the dowel in the barrel, press the end of the dowel down and attempt to work the slide. If it unlocks, the link is too short; install a longer one. Yes, this does take more than two hands. I figured it out; so can you. Relax the pressure on the dowel and the slide should unlock easily. If not. the link is too long; install a shorter one. Find the happy medium. I learned this from a USMC MGnySgt armorer.

BTW, yes I would stake my life on my equipment right now.

R

king krazy said...

Although I have a colt 1991 I stake my life on a sig p226.