Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DC Police Bureaucrat Advocates Possum Defense.

Opossum Defense Mechanisms
"Playing 'possum": The opossum has an involuntary comatose-like state induced by extreme fear. Predators find "the kill" part of the stimulus to eat; therefore, an inert opossum does nothing to excite their appetite, and they will leave it alone. Somehow the opossum's body knows when the danger has passed, and the opossum "comes to" again. Nature's mystery!
Drooling: An opossum will work its jaw until excessive drool forms and it is actually blowing bubbles out of its nose! Heavy drooling causes a predator to think the opossum is sick and consequently unappetizing.
Alligator-mouth: Even before opossums have teeth, they will gape their mouth in a threatening manner. (The babies do not realize that this is only impressive when they finally have teeth!) This act alone will keep many predators (including humans) at bay.
Anal gland fluid: Fear can cause release of a greenish-colored anal fluid. Opossums cannot "spray," and the only way this unpleasant-smelling body fluid can come in contact with you is if your clothes brush the anal area. It washes off easily. -- opossumsocietyus.org/
D.C.’s crime solution: Be a victim.
The problem is, if you are armed, it escalates the situation,” Mr. Quander told residents. “It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
Be sure and watch the video.
Maybe Quander should put out pamphlets on the old possum anal gland fluid trick.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Why do we put the mentally ill in prominent positions?

Anonymous said...

I'm not into the whole "victimhood" thing. I don't trust the badguy not to shoot/stab/whack me just for shits and grins after I give him what he wants. I'd rather at least TRY to defend myself. When I was working armed security, I had a post where the rule was that if the robber told you to do so, you had to surrender your sidearm to him. Now, I've read several studies that show that main cause of death among armed security officers is being shot with their own weapon. The firm that had that contract considered an armed security guard an escalator whereas most places I worked considered them a DEescalator. When I became aware of that requirement, I finished my shift and put in my 2-weeks notice. Fortunately they let me leave that day.

I would rather go down firing than just let some miscreant hurt/kill me while I am cowering and HOPING the badguy doesn't do something awful to me.

Ken said...

Y'know, "quander" would make a good descriptive for people who advocates what he does. " 'Just give them what they want?' Who said that? What miserable quander said that?"

MamaLiberty said...

Anyone who thinks like this needs to spend a weekend in S. Central Los Angeles... alone, and definitely unarmed.

With anything but body fluids, of course.