Tuesday, June 7, 2011

For Sale: M-1/M-2 Carbine 30 round HARDBACK magazines.

Folks,

It seems that I'm going to be required in DC at some time in the near future. Before I go, I'm going to need a new pair of glasses and a cheap suit, plus the gas money to get me there. (Housing offered by friends will be gratis.) Thus, I'm going to need some bucks. Ergo, I am compelled to offer for sale the following items:


12 Hardback USGI Original Pattern 30-round magazines in excellent condition


Eleven are marked SEY for Seymour Products and the twelfth is marked KI M2, for the Inland Division of General Motors.

This is what James Wesley, Rawles had to say about the difference between hardback and split-back carbine mags in 2007:

Hard Back: The first (early) type is commonly called a "hard-back". The body for this type was made out of one piece of sheet steel. It can be identified by the reinforcing grooves that run nearly the full length of the sides of the magazine, following the curve of the magazine for the entire length. These magazines are currently selling for $40 to $90 each, depending on condition.

Split Back: The second (later) type is commonly called a "split-back" or two-piece." The body for this type was made out of two pieces of sheet steel. It can be identified by two reinforcing grooves that run at odd angles in the bottom half of the magazine. It is also quickly identified by the two small slots or "splits" on the rear of the magazine, right where it bends. Original split-back magazines are currently selling for $25 to $50 each, depending on condition. BTW, some of these were unmarked, but are still original. (To the best of my knowledge, no copies were made of hard-backs, only split-backs.)


What Rawles doesn't say is that the hardbacks bring a premium because they are more reliable than the split-backs, since they have no "split" to be easily indented by casual or purposeful banging around. (Many 30-rounders -- especially USGIs -- are dented by someone striking the back on a hard surface -- like a helmet -- to make sure the rounds are seated before inserting in the weapon. Most of the soldier complaints of faulty magazines came from this source.)

I am selling these hardbacks for $80.00 plus $5.00 shipping each (Postal Money Order only, please). (If you want to buy quantities we'll chat about the freight.)

First come, first serve. Advise me by email to GeorgeMason1776@aol.com of your intentions. When you get my email confirmation, send PMO to:

Mike Vanderboegh
PO Box 926
Pinson, AL 35126

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It seems that I'm going to be required in DC at some time in the near future. Before I go, I'm going to need a new pair of glasses and a cheap suit, plus the gas money to get me there."

Sir:

I have no need of M1 Carbine magazines, hardback or otherwise. But if you are going to DC on "official business", then we have need of you being there. Say the word and I (and perhaps others) will kick a few "small unmarked bills" your way as I have before.

As to your other request, I regret to inform you that I am still out of anthrax. ;-)

Dale Martin said...

Mike: Seymour Metal Products Seymour CT, made mainly for Winchester....KI and AI were Inland suppliers, and the only ones to make the hardback mags.

This mag was adopted after all the other contractors had ceased (April 1944) production of Carbines, circa June 1944 along with the new mag catch and the bayonet and flip safety..

Have fun in DC, and I hope you take Amtrak, less terrorism there!!

Dale

Janet Incompetano said...

yeah, a few of us can spare a shekel or two from our immeasurable coffers and our immense war chest.
We'll call it the "Mr. Van Goes to Washington" fund.
Only those old enough to remember Jimmy Stewart will grasp that.

Anonymous said...

No need for the magazines (got enough ak mags to do, could use a few psl mags!), but check your po'box in a few days.

It ain't Publishers Clearing House, but it ain't bad.

Skip said...

Mike, you really need a Tipjar linked to Paypal.
I'll send some ducats but a lot more would get there faster if I could just click-it offa my CC.