Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Good Grandpa



My thanks to John Russell for forwarding me this story about the Good Grandpa.

The Good Grandpa

A woman in a grocery store happens upon a grandfather and his poorly behaved three year-old grandson. It's obvious to her that Gramps has his hands full with the child screaming for candy in the candy aisle, cookies in the cookie aisle; same for fruit, cereal and soda in their respective aisles. Meanwhile, Gramps is working his way around, saying in a controlled voice, "Easy, Albert, we won't be long -- easy, boy."

Another outburst, and she hears Gramps calmly say, "It's okay, Albert, just a couple more minutes and we'll be out of here.. Hang in there, boy."

At the checkout, the little terror is throwing items out of the cart, and Gramps again in a controlled voice is saying, "Albert, Albert, relax buddy, don't get upset. We'll be home in five minutes; stay cool, Albert."

Very impressed, the woman goes outside where Gramps is loading his groceries and the boy into the car. "You know, sir, it's none of my business, but you were amazing in there. I don't know how you did it. That whole time, you kept your composure, and no matter how loud and disruptive he got, you just calmly kept saying things would be okay. Albert is very lucky to have you as his grandpa."

Thanks, lady," said Gramps, "But, I'm Albert -- the little bastard's name is Steve." I'm going to beat the shit out of him when I get him home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you got this story about my dad, but it's true and he kept his promise. thanks for the laugh

cj428 said...

w

cj428 said...

Just anothetr sign of the times. My Ex and I had seven dhildren. When they started walking, I started training them to follow instructions, by getting them to come when I called, stopping when they were told. to them it was A game. It is the same princable as teaching soodiers to drill. Your not teaching them march your teaching them to follow orders. With all the attacks on the family its harder now than ever to be A good parent.

chris horton said...

Good one!!

CIII

thedweeze said...

Grandpa Albert has a lot of restraint.

My Mom would conduct the trial and execute the sentence right there in the parking lot.

:)

Anonymous said...

Being raised in the tiny towns of Mid Tennessee, there was no waiting til you got home or the parking lot. Being the oldest of 5 boys to a Southern Baptist preacher, our butts were worn out right there on the spot. My daddy did not believe in this community raising your child bull. Neither do I.

After many years of total hell with my son, I now have a 23 year old who makes me a very proud father. He is a 3% even now. However, I got to tell you these young ones are scared shit after they get a handle on the last 20 or so years of history.

He now understands the stands which I have and am now taking.

None the less, there is hope.

Renegade
III

Anonymous said...

G'pa Albert must have been on some good meds.
I wouldn't have been so "understanding". I would have pulled Steve from the cart and gotten his attention there and then in tha aisle with a couple of stinging swats.

Training young children is much like training puppies. You have to administer the corrective action (or reward) immediately. If you wait until later, the child's attention span is short enough that (s)he will have forgotten what all the fuss is about.

Read Robert Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" HS classroom lecture by Col (Ret) DuBois.

B Woodman
III-per

idahobob said...

Good 'Un!!!!

From the proud grandfather of 11, going on 12 grandchildren!!

Glad that my coffee cup was set down during the reading of this, or else my computer screen would have been thoroughly sprayed!

Bob
III

Mike H said...

Reminds me of the time our daughter threw a tantrum at the store. I duly spanked her, threw her over my shoulder, as she was squirming and took her to the car while my wife finished shopping, telling her as I did that being a brat was punishable.

She is a very reasoned girl now at 14 with bounderies. My son is similar.