Friday, August 5, 2011

Fear Of A Black Rifle

Folks,

I received this in email this morning, forwarded from a friend. I liked it enough to ask the author for permission to post it, which he graciously granted.

Mike
III


Fear Of A Black Rifle
By John John Johnson

Over the years, Americans have been slowly conditioned by their media, news outlets and politicians to fear firearms. While there is an obvious reason that so much money and psychological spin is used and expended to demonize them, most fail to consider why they are afraid of guns. The very sight of a gun can cause an unwarranted panic for some. Chief amongst these icons of fear and dread is America’s own 'little black rifle’; the AR-15.

No other common rifle produces such a strong reaction in people; you either like or you don’t like an AR-15. There isn’t much space for lukewarm aficionados. However, much of the American public’s fear of the Black Rifle is due to cultural conditioning and the end result of a near half century of anti-gun propaganda. Eyes go wide and whispers get uttered under cupped hands when the the 'Evil Black Rifle’ (EBR) - sometimes mistakenly called an 'assault rifle’ by it’s detractors - is produced for the uninitiated to see.

While it’s use in actual U.S. crime has rarely been reported, the Black Rifle remains a token of freedom to some and the ultimate expression of American oppression to others.

The truth though, it’s just a black rifle. It is a tool like any other that man has created, but we simply don’t see it as such since it is used for protection, hunting and military action. I’ll not mince words here, a rifle is designed to kill and eliminate threats, two legged or four legged, for food or to sustain life - that’s it’s function.

Now that the backdrop has been outlined, I’d like to share with you my own story about the Black Rifle;

Nearly a week ago, it was with great trepidation (and a little shaking) that I placed the last piece onto my new Black Rifle. I had just joined the upper receiver to the lower - completing the final phase in a month’s long process. My AR-15 journey had also included me building my own lower receiver. For the first time in my life, I assembled the rifle’s trigger assembly - something I wasn’t allowed to do when I was in the Infantry. Messing with the trigger was specifically reserved for the unit’s armorer - so it was a mystery for me. Now, 20 years later, I was about to hold again, albeit a variant, the weapon that demarcated the passage from my youth to manhood.

To an Infantryman, the M16 (now in it’s incarnation as the M4) is the main tool of his trade.

At the military university that I attended, we were also issued an M-14 - so I was extremely familiar with both rifles. While I know the value of a M-14 as a long distance shooter, I still can’t shake the feeling I got the first time when I was issued my own M-16. It meant something to me. That particular rifle, specifically, I know backwards and forwards. Even after twenty years, my hands instinctively knew how to break the down it’s bolt assembly without even having to look at a manual or go online for instructions. There is a reason. By the time that a combat soldier earns the coveted blue Infantry chord, he can literally break that rifle down blindfolded.

Stated, when my AR-15 project was complete - needless to say - I was extremely happy. I took a picture of the finished rifle and mailed it to my good buddies. Surely, they’d know this was a big deal for me.

What surprised me the most, was that hardly anyone called or contacted me back. Obviously, they knew this was important to me, right? A day or so later, my normally talkative friends had barely said a word - only one of them responded by phone.

A little muddled, I posted the image to the social networking site that I use. Most of my friends are family members or people I’ve known since high school. These are the same folks who I shot with as a kid during hunter education classes and on the weekends at our family farm. Ironically, no one said a word at first. Matter of fact, the only person that said anything positive was the guy who instructed me on it’s initial build. The one comment I received on the photo that was from a friend or family member, happened to be a high school buddy who had joined the Army years after I left the service. He remarked; ‘I didn’t know you were that into guns, guess it shows you don’t know someone after twenty years.’

The impact of his tour in Iraq had led him to radically change religions and then join the Democratic Party. On the photo’s comment, he went on to talk about how they had bigger guns than the M4 in his unit (specifically calling it a 'small gun') and how those ‘foot soldiers’ didn’t know what hit ‘em when the cluster bombs struck. His statement was a bit of guilt trip and meant to put down on me for posting the photo. I knew he intended it as an underhanded comment, but the guy had been through allot and I didn’t want to call him out on it. I just said ‘Thank you for posting what you think’, and with that, my previous excitement about my black rifle build dampened further still.

It was then that it dawned on me something was wrong. Despite the fact that many people I know are aware that I’m a shooter and a re-loader (subjects that they happily discuss this with me), they had turned cold for some reason. I had ventured into some unknown dark and bleak territory when I had posted my project picture online. My happiness couldn’t overcome the public rejection. The cool reception told me that I was not immune, nor were the people I knew, to the con-job that the anti-firearms establishment has pulled on America. This once great citizenry had held down the British army using guerilla warfare and literally fought to escape the slavery of Europe. They didn’t do that by being peace-corp activists, they fought to be free.

Yet today, you’d hardly know it ... and the feelings that the Black Rifle elicits when some American’s see it, proves my suspicions. I don’t fault them and I understand why they are this way, but still, really? Come on ...

That’s a false perception and it's based on a lie - point blank.

One should consider that only a free and sovereign individual has ever born arms throughout all of history. There was a time in this country when each household had to have it’s own rifle and each man of able body drilled on the weekends, atleast once a month, to know how shot and fight. Sadly, people have forgotten this, just like they have forgotten what it truly means to be a free person. This is not the pseudo freedom to chose cars, hair color or pick out a movie, but the freedom to do what you want because your society respects your individual rights and knows that you are a person who is responsible with his own actions.

Which brings me back to the Black Rifle. If our forefathers and mothers could have seen an M4 or AR-15, I doubt they would have been as fearful as their predecessors seem to be. The very fact that I can build, make and possess my own Black Rifle, is due to the very sacrifices that they made. It hurts me that other Americans can’t see that or have little appreciation towards them. In truth, most Americans don't even know what it means to even be American. Our nation appears to be at a precipice, teetering into a cultural cognitive dissonance. This is mainly due to the fact that our society has eroded into a fearful, nearly childlike, immature populace - and regrettably; a citizenry unfree. They are not the people our forefathers had intended them to be.

This being said, I’ll be happy and proud - at least inwardly, that I hold the rifle that marked my own transition from childhood to manhood. Though few others can share or see what that exactly means to me, it still matters none-the-less. My hope is that people will get over their fear of the Black Rifle and will embrace, again, the responsibility that it’s ownership demands and entails.

Maybe then, and only then, will people learn what it truly means to be American again.

Cheers,
JJ


(John Johnson may be contacted at johnATHellerfoundation.com )

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always remember the look on my wife's face when she opened her Valentine's Day present an found a Rock River Arms AR15 lower. The look said in no uncertain terms: "OMFG! I am married to a crazy person!

The next saturday, over several nerve wracking hours and many checks of the relevant web pages, she held the completed AR15A4 flat top that she had assembled from a Rock River kit with her own hands. I got "The Look V2.0".

A year and a couple presents later (EOTech Holosight and Ceiner .22 LR conversion unit), a trip to the range usually involves me on my knees begging for a chance to run just one mag through her baby.

This is an experience that all Americans should get to enjoy. Sadly this will not be the case.

Anonymous said...

Yup, and wait until you see the response when you proudly display your new AK variant......

Drew in SC said...

I mist be overwhelmingly blessed. If I put up pictures of serious-looking rifles on FB the response is overwhelmingly positive. A lot of people think I'm a little kooky, but they're supportive.

Anonymous said...

published for the first time LOL
my first ar by oathkeeper47

Once upon a time I was a happy union liberal sheep. I started to renew my interest in firearms with a new smith mp40 and was happy. Still no political idealogical change. I think it was 2006 when I bought my stag arms model 1 and that was when the changes started. I started to catch little blurbs about the "evil assault rifle" It didnt take long to realize the dems would brake down my door and take my new baby in a heart beat. Over the next several years I spent reading mych about history, firearms, and religion. So basically after 5 yrs Ive gone from sheep to a threeper that gave his life to Jesus Christ. Im still in a union LOL and as much as I would like my union to not be lead by communists Im not holding my breath. I do what I can to make my small local the bastion of liberty. Ive actually done pretty well and we are the best armed group of 18 people that arent in the military. Its been quite a journey looking back and I believe that my evil black rifle was the key.

Anonymous said...

JJ,
Congratulations on your project! ARs are truly a joy to handle. As to your friends and family's reactions, every gunner has a few around. Some you can convert with an invitation to the range to discover that guns are not evil and really fun; others are so brainwashed they will never see the truth.

azcIII

Anonymous said...

John

Well.........you'll be right at home with all the rest of us misfits. Just remember that the 2A was written for the musket, the military pattern rifle of the day. For all those out there that espouse the "living" Constitution, I submit to you that the black rifle IS the military pattern rifle of today.

hbbill

Jay Stang said...

Or your huge, mean FAL.

fgd-anchorage said...

Responsibility: used twice in the article.

"A well regulated Militia,
BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A FREE STATE,(emphasis mine)
the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed."

Given the context of the wording here, I take it, it is my responsibility to "keep and bare arms".

"There was a time in this country when each household had to have it’s own rifle and each man of able body drilled on the weekends, atleast once a month, to know how shot and fight."

Anonymous said...

The media has demonized the AR-15 and the AK-47S variant. The AR-15's usually don't get people too excited, but the AK-47 variants everyone goes nuts. I got rid of my AK-47S for this reason. My AR-15 is a Hbar match rifle and will hold a good 1/2 inch grouping at 100 meters if I do my part. But the media will scream assault rifle and AK-47 in the same sentence regardless of the type of rifle as long as it is black and ugly. Good to hear your project came together. Good Luck and Keep the FAITH.

eddymatthews said...

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

JJJ,
I don't do social media, as I don't usually have the time and/or inclination.
That said, I'll say it here -- CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby. Hold her proud. Treat her sweet. Clean her often after a good day at the range (you HAVE taken her to a day out to the range already, haven't you?). This is a product of your own loving hands. Learn her capabilities, and her limitations.
There is nothing that you have done to be ashamed of. If there is fault, it is in your "friends" who have fallen prey to the psyops of the Liberal enemy.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. . "

B Woodman
III-per
wv: chinop - a worthy arm-building exercise.

Anonymous said...

Well, they've been educated as slaves and when they have their moment of transition to manhood it will be from slave to armed slave, enforcing the will of the masters.

Exactly as the left intended it to be.

Big Al said...

Good article, I completely agree.
When I am at the range with family/newbies they all fight to be able to shoot the mini 14 in its' beautiful warm wooden glow. the EBR's are mostly ignored.