Monday, May 5, 2014

Praxis: Stippling An AR-15 Magpul PMAG

From a reader:
My weekend project (See videos below.)
I try to do a little each weekend to get improve my gear or get familiarized with a new product. This weekend, I stippled 6 windowed PMAGs and it took me a little over an hour. I purchased a entry level 12 euro soldering iron and was rocking in minutes after watching a few tutorials. My only advice would be to go slow and not be in a rush to complete. Yes, it is a tedious and time consuming project, but the finished texture is greatly improved. Hands will cramp so it is important to take breaks as needed. Stippling does tend to be forgiving of mistakes, but whatever you melt on the plastic will be forever. Be deliberate and the effect will translate to the plastic.
The enhanced grip texture cannot be understated. When hands are sweaty or bloody, the ability to manipulate the magazine with ease will be appreciated. . . I really enjoy the feel and look of this easy magazine mod.
AR 15 Magazine Stippling Art or Function?
Stippling An AR-15 Magpul PMAG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It should also be stated that appropriate protective gear should be employed around a hot metal pointed rod. Eye protection and in a well ventilated area are a minimum.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea, might try it on a couple soon.

AJ said...

IMO, someone has too much time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

IMO if you do stuff when you have the time, on stuff that increases your chance of not dying, I would consider it time well spent.

But I guess I am the only one who is not 100% ready for what is coming down the road.

Oregon Hobo said...

Well, this is probably paranoid but here goes anyway...

It seems to me that anyone facing the future possibility of getting in a firefight in territory under the control of organized hostile forces would do well to be mindful of the possibility that those hostiles might subsequently try to match any materiel left behind to its original owner.

I reckon the most likely items to be recovered would be ejected shell casings and dropped magazines. I further reckon that the most likely means of matching would be either by tracing fingerprints, or by comparing distinguishing markings to similar markings on similar items found in the possession of a suspect or at the locations of other engagements.

Thus it seems to me that a person in such a hypothetical scenario should endeavor to keep magazines and cartridges not only free of fingerprints, but also as generic as possible with regard to markings.

my 3¢

#HOBO#