Sunday, February 2, 2014

"To me as an American, they are un-American. To me as a Negro, they are anti-Negro." From American Rifleman, March 1968: "Why Anti-Gun Laws 'Hit Hardest At The Negro.'"

I found the following article by William J. White, of Hempstead, L.I., N.Y., in a stack of old American Rifleman back issues that I lucked into at a thrift store. A Major with the US Army Reserve, at the time of this writing MAJ White was employed by "an electronics corporation." The disclaimer says, "He gives here his individual views on an issue of national significance."
It appears that the distinguished gentlemen pressing for the strongest anti-gun bills either know absolutely nothing about firearms or are using the bills as a cover for some less obvious venture.
Anti-gun measures would have the effect of disarming the American citizen in general and the Negro in particular. That is why I, as an American citizen and as a Negro, oppose them.
If passed and obeyed, such laws will effectively make the law-abiding Negro citizens defenseless and especially vulnerable to crime. This should cause deep concern among all Americans of good will, as a recent U.S. Department of Justice (FBI) Uniform Crime Report states that 54% of U.S. murder victims were Negroes and they are much victimized also in other types of crimes.
Law-abiding Negroes, nearly all of them extremely scrupulous, are likely to flock to register their firearms rather than risk being in violation of the law. Many know, too, that in certain areas there is a practice of "cracking down" harder on Negroes than on others in any form of law enforcement. While enforcement has made strides toward fairness, there are still enough misfits in police uniforms to reinforce the Negroes' long-standing mistrust of policemen.
If there were reason to believe that the issuance of permits to purchase or keep firearms would be on a non-discriminatory basis, like automobile driving permits, the proposed anti-gun laws could be considered as just another nuisance. But experiences in the American past do not support this.
These proposals are similar in some respects to the old poll tax. Although the Negro has the same right to vote as any other American citizen, the power structure knew that few Negroes could pay the poll tax to vote and that those few whp tried could be prohibited from actual voting in a number of ways.
While the bills now before Congress do not impose a gun permit system, some of their sponsors make no bones about wanting just that and the President's Crime Commission has advocated firearms registration -- which means permits -- in every state. Any and all such permit systems, I firmly believe, can be used against the right to bear arms, and to discriminate against Negroes.
Because I am a Negro, I conceive that I would have little or no chance of obtaining a firearms permit in most of the 50 states. I think this would prove true although I hold a field grade commission in the Infantry Reserve, and saw combat service in World War II and Korea.
Two organizations of which I am a member -- the Disabled American Veterans and the National Rifle Association -- oppose the kind of firearms bills that would lead to registration, taxation and confiscation.
One of the thinnest arguments advanced in support of anti-gun bills is that Negroes used firearms extensively in riot sniping. That simply does not hold true and is like a low blow to all those men who saw military service as snipers. Guns played a very minor role, actually, and those who assert otherwise should know better.
Anti-gun bills could in fact disenfranchise the Negro of his right to bear arms and to protect himself and his property. To me as an American, they are un-American. To me as a Negro, they are anti-Negro. I take no please in saying so, but feel it is my duty and right to express my views. -- William J. White.

7 comments:

FedUp said...

I thought the NRA was a proud sponsor of the 1968 GCA. I know that in the early 60s, they claimed in American Rifleman to be a proud sponsor of the NFA, but I haven't seen any American Rifleman quotes from the 1930s to back that up.

bubba said...

Another time, another country; where are these types of guys now?

Anonymous said...

Bubba, we are all over this country today. On the internet, a form of media where unscrupulous editorial staffs are unable to function as a filter, it's quite easy to find a shirt piece or a lengthy explanation that contain the same sentiments as the one posted here.

Of course there also exits both in the loyalist department that seek to disarm the Citizenry as well. Here on the inter webs there exists the free exchange of ideas that the founders and framers knew existed and would always exist no matter what government - or authorized journalists- had to say about it.

I believe this is the true reason why the bill of rights did -and had to- come to pass. There was wisdom being em parted in the vein of admission. Some things had been and will forever be debated in the court of public opinion. That cannot be the standard by which a nation is governed, for there must be structure of some kind.

To avoid endless strife and nonsensical endless arguing, certain things simply had to be settled to the extent they could be as a matter of law. And so it was done. The bill became law. Supreme law.

Today, some of us still fight for it in this new media while the controllers of old media continue their path of destruction.

May god help us when the generations of youngsters to come can no longer read cursive because schools just quit teaching it. For when the population can no longer read our founding documents themselves, relying in their controllers to " translate" it for them - you will really have a point in asking where these kinds of folks are today. When that day arrives, there truly won't be anyone of the mettle.

bondmen said...

Are there still men like him in our country? If there are I wish they'd break thorough and make themselves known to US! Here's one I think I found: "“Black people have been programmed to think that self-defense, our defense, is someone else’s responsibility—that good, honest, decent black people have nothing to do with guns, because guns are for white folks, police, and black criminals. I find it to be an absurd notion. The vast majority of gun laws in America have been aimed at trying to disarm black people.” – Conceal-and-carry trainer Gerald Vernon, Dismantling the stigma of guns." http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/293415/

Anonymous said...

It's all about the story that can be fabricated and used as propaganda to further the Marxist cause or Kos, if you prefer.

Marxists will use anyone or anything that can bring them power. Lies and fear are their primary go to weapons. There is only one effective answer to that, and to them.

oughtsix said...


Re this topic, Mike, check your mail please.

Nathan said...

I am a 27 year old Black/African American/Negro ... or whatever the politically correct term is nowadays.

I almost fall into the trap of considering myself "racist" for not wanting to acknowledge the unnecessary "African" prefix...I have never been to Africa and I don't know much of their customs; Nor do I hold what little of their customs that I do know in particularly high esteem. Not that I look down on them, or anyone for that matter, I just marvel and enjoy all foreign cultures with respect and acceptance. There are some that would label me "Anti-Black" or call me "Uncle Tom" but I don't care much. I am an America. I am proud and glad to be here regardless of the circumstances that it entailed...or how freckled that past may be.

Ironically enough, I dropped out of high school and choose to get my GED instead. I "failed" at Public School. The pace was too slow and it didn't encourage individual thinking. Either way I make over six figures (Senior Data-center Engineer) and have a firm understanding of the Constitution and the importance of knowing the wisdom left by the founders of this great country. I am more proud of the following than any financial achievements:

I have read the Federalist papers I know what the NDAA is and how dangerous it is.
I know who the Speaker of the House and Majority Leader is
I know that the Federal Reserve is not a government program.

I'm also a card carrying 2nd supporter. I know the history of disarmament and how evil the motives have been. I also have witnessed more black on white racism than I have white on black...even though it has been extremely rare in any event and I imagine is slightly skewed due to my closer proximity to more blacks.

Either way, I consider myself a Patriot and will operate within the legal framework to protect the constitution and educate my peers.