Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Praxis: Fieldcraft thread over at AKFiles.com on the not-so-obsolete ALICE pack.

Long-time readers will recall I am a fan of the ALICE pack as referenced here and here.
A tip of the boonie hat and deep genuflection to reader Matthew P., who forwarded this thread on the same subject from AKFiles.com.
I particularly liked this improvisation:
As the author reports:
"I'm not a big 550 braider-type, but whatever this knot is called it's easy on the hands when picking up a fully loaded ruck. It's way better than grabbing the shoulder/upper back pad. That is a stress point on these rucks and one can pop a few stiches pretty quick if you grab the ruck like this while it's fully loaded."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out Hanging Out With Alice

http://selousscouts.blogspot.com/2012/12/hanging-out-with-alice.html

SWIFT said...

I like the ALICE pack and have one as a bug-out bag. The one short coming is the belt buckle. The plastic gets fatigued quickly and one prong or another breaks, making the belt useless. Change this out upon purchase for worry free use.

bruce said...

my ruck weighted 125lbs and I had a love hate relation with it especially before I drank down the three gallons of water and ate two cases of c's then shot up a lot of your ammo.i lost thirty pounds.

Gunny G said...

Still have the ALICE I was issued in the late 80's and it has withstood the test of time. Ops in Norway, Australia, Thailand, Japan (Mt Fuji) and Oki and CONUS and she's still going strong!