Monday, August 15, 2011

I have a question. "There's always some dumb sonofabitch that don't know me and ain't smart enough to take the time to ask around."


CNN caption: "Brown Safe created this $6,500 custom-designed safe for a customer who needed to protect piles of gold bars, jewelry and cash."

Booming business of fear: Sales of safes soar.

I have a question: How long will your safe protect valuables when a home-invasion gang is holding a pistol to your two-year-old daughter's head? There's a lot of guys who have some gold or silver tucked away on the top shelf of their gun safes. That's fine. But what I am questioning here is the belief that a safe -- and a safe alone, absent firearms and the will to use them -- can protect your valuables from predators. Even if it is a break-in while you are not there, they will discover the safe, conclude it has valuables, and come back later with a better plan and a bigger crew when you are home to open it for them and available for a little friendly persuasion.

There is a man up in Winston County I know who once had a meth addict try to rob his house about ten years ago. The meth addict did not survive the experience. He regretted having to kill the man, but observed that the predator's death had netted some benefits. "Bought me a heap of peace and quiet," he told me. I pointed out that he still carried, even when he was on his own property. "Well," he explained, "there's always some dumb sonofabitch that don't know me and ain't smart enough to take the time to ask around."

Safes are fine, I suppose. Vigilance, ability and a neighborhood defense plan are better. Building a reputation for those things doesn't hurt either.

2 comments:

Ashrak said...

"Safes are fine, I suppose. Vigilance, ability and a neighborhood defense plan are better. Building a reputation for those things doesn't hurt either."

While I am technically disarmed here in the police state that is Illinois, my sidearm is always as nearby as possible, especially at home, and everyone who knows me and my family knows full well that is the "case". One might say some of us are "Diggins" in. ;)

I may not yet be able to wear that sidearm regularly, but I, along with my vehicle, can and do wear firearm related attire daily. Hopefully, the SAF will facilitate something of a switch in wardrobe shortly. (Fingers crossed)

I really liked this piece, Mike. Thanks for the pick me up read first thing this Monday morning.

Reputation does indeed go a long way.

Trey said...

Fernando (FerFal) had some very good advice in this regard - have more than one safe. One to give away if needed, and a better hidden (and better stocked) one to keep.

Of course, the best outcome is nothing happens, 'cause no one knows you have a safe.