Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sunday Jams - Carl Orff

Carmina Burana's most well known piece is, obviously, O Fortuna.  I am sure you recognize it from dozens of places in modern film and TV.  It is overly complex and dramatic and seems to universally resonate with something forgotten deep inside. The poetry of it and of the entire concert is well worth the listen.







O Fortuna (O Fortune)
velut luna (like the moon)
statu variabilis (you are changeable)
semper crescis (always waxing)
aut decrescis; (and waning;)
vita detestabilis (hateful life)
nunc obdurat (first oppresses)
et tunc curat (and then soothes)
ludo mentis aciem, (as fancy takes it)
egestatem, (poverty)
potestatem (and power)
dissolvit ut glaciem. (it melts them like ice.)
Sors immanis (Fate - monstrous)
et inanis, (and empty)
rota tu volubilis, (you whirling wheel)
status malus, (you are malevolent)
vana salus (well-being is vain)
semper dissolubilis, (and always fades to nothing)
obumbrata (shadowed)
et velata (and veiled)
mihi quoque niteris; (you plague me too;)
nunc per ludum (now through the game)
dorsum nudum (I bring my bare back)
fero tui sceleris. (to your villainy.)
Sors salutis (Fate is against me)
et virtutis (in health)
michi nunc contraria, (and virtue)
est affectus (driven on)
et defectus (and weighted down)
semper in angaria. (always enslaved.)
Hac in hora (So at this hour)
sine mora (without delay)
corde pulsum tangite; (pluck the vibrating strings;)
quod per sortem (since Fate)
sternit fortem, (strikes down the strong)
mecum omnes plangite! (everyone weep with me!)

From Metrolyrics.com

8 comments:

RustyGunner said...

I've always enjoyed the Carmina Burana, although I prefer "Tempus est Iocundum" to "O Fortuna".

Anonymous said...

ATF pushing government app to report suspect gun owners

http://personalliberty.com/atf-pushing-government-app-report-suspect-gun-owners/

Anonymous said...

What's the point of all these music videos on the sipseystreet blog? I don't get it.

- Old Greybeard

Darwin is a Harsh Mistress said...

Okay, now that you've gone and reminded me about this, which movement features the lament of a maiden wishing for a passing knight to defleur her virginal self?

lulz

Orff is the meisteralpha of the Brutalist style.

Too bad he chocked in his personal moment of truth.

Dutchman6 said...

Greybeard,

Two main reasons.

1. It is my blog and I choose the content.

2. I think that expecially in the prepper and political communities we tend to be a bit 2 dimensional in that we demand all one type of content. I do not think that anyone does all of one thing all the time. You would go insane. If memory serves, I believe your line in the sand was SEC football. I personally would find it hard to care less about the sport, but to each their own. If I can share some good tunes with the community on a day we should all be relaxing with family, I would call that a win. Life is simply too short not to be a little irreverent, or drink a little, or listen to good music once in a while.

BTW, I hate the recaptcha thing too, but there is nothing I can do about it. Either I moderate or I don't. And not moderating all of the heathen Mohammedans that show up would make this blog suck really quick. So, sorry.

jdege said...

I've always preferred the original settings to Orff's pomposity.

My favorite, out of all of them, is "Ich was ein chint so wolgetan".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7CNQ7jTNJ4

Ich was ein chint so wolgetan
virgo dum florebam;
do brist mich diu werlt al,
omnibus placebam.

I was once a good little girl,
when I was still a virgin;
all the world sung my praise,
everyone used to like me.

la wolde ih an die wisen gan
flores adunare,
do wolde mich ein ungetan
ibi deflorare

Once I strayed through the meadows
to pick flowers,
and a rough villain
came to break my flower.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Helium_Vola:Ich_Was_Ein_Chint_So_Wolgetan/en

RustyGunner said...

I'm surprised I forgot this video.

https://youtu.be/nIwrgAnx6Q8

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I've heard that song a million times and never knew what it was. Although the BBC video was from 1994, that was an incredible rendition, arrangement, and production.
How vile must 13th century life have been to come up with that?

Thanks for the diversion.