Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cuomo's ratings are in the toilet and the run on ammunition continues. Black Friday at Cabela's in Columbus, Ohio.


NY SAFE Act still generates firestorm.
In the meantime, Barrett’s still has a waiting list for some kinds of ammunition and ammunition magazines. But Barrett said overall gun sales in the location might be down, because there’s certain items — including handguns — the business can’t sell anymore.
That includes anything qualifying as an “assault weapon” under state statutes, along with certain kinds of handguns, such as high-capacity semi-automatics, or those with threaded barrels.
“Very strong,” he said of the ammunition sales. “Very strong. We’re getting people we’ve never seen before. All they’re doing is looking for ammo to feed their guns — especially now with hunting season, because there are so many calibers out there.
“We do our damnedest here to try to keep the shelves full, and it’s almost a full-time job. We’re getting people from all over the place looking for ammo. Sometimes we have ammo and it doesn’t even last 10 minutes and it’s gone. It’s still strong.”
Of course there are folks who have smuggled magazines into New York (and other tyrannical states) and will continue to do so. Look for more of this calculated defiance of unconstitutional laws as time passes.
As far as ammunition shortages, the only thing that I have noticed that remains a chronic problem is .22 Long Rifle. Down here in Alabama it continues to be "unobtanium" as Peter White says. I went to Ohio to visit my mother over Thanksgiving with Rosey, my oldest daughter Hannah, and her boyfriend Brandon. A Cabela's ad in the local paper directed my attention to a deal on Winchester .22 Long Rifle -- 300 rounds in a wooden box for $16. So, on Friday morning I broke a previous oath of mine never to shop on Black Friday and Brandon and I motored down to see if we could score some. We got there a half hour after opening at 0530 Eastern and raced to the pallet where they had the .22s. They were on the next to last level of their fifth and last pallet. Limited one per customer, some guys had been in line for two hours waiting to get in and buy just one box.
I must say that Cabela's did an excellent job maintaining a flowing line to the registers, and I only spent about forty minutes in line. Everyone was orderly and in good humor. Thus did I spend my last carefully hoarded "emergency fifty" on two boxes but it is the first .22 Long Rifle I have been able to find at a reasonable price in a year. The souvenir boxes are kind of nifty, too, but I repackage most of my bulk .22 LR in 100 round plastic boxes that I scrounge out of trash cans at the range.  It is more convenient and less messy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice box, but I think I liked it better back in the day when .22 ammo wasn't sold in collector's boxes.

Someday, I may have trouble convincing my grandkids that I'm old enough to remember a time when ammo was a readily available, everyday commodity.

rexxhead said...

Buying ammunition is't 'shopping'; it's 'preparing'.

Anonymous said...

If you think 22LR is hard to find, try to get 22Mag.

Merle

countenance said...

A lot of people buying firearms and ammunition at big box stores on Black Friday: Calm and order.

A lot of people buying loss leader TVs at big box stores on Black Friday: Near riots.

skybill said...

Hi Mike,
Down here in SE La. .22LR pickins' are "slim to none," more towards the "none" side lately. Although there has been a fair amt of 9MM!! Anyway it's too bad we have to be in this mess as those Cabela's ,22LR sets in the wood box sure are cute!! What great "stocking stufers' they'd be...."if they were readily available!!" Wouldn't mind finding one or two under the tree on Christmas. Well, keep smilin', it makes the lefties wonder what ya' up to.
BSBD,
III%,
skybill-out

Anonymous said...

I don't care what some of the ammo makers are saying ammo supplies are still not back to normal and I doubt they will be for some time to come. Prices remain high as well. The price of components are such that reloading gives you a supply option but at little if any savings. I was in my local Walmart here in southern Michigan last week and the ammo case was damned near empty. Showing the same pitiful stock as it has for the last year or more. A couple of boxes of Winchester .270. Some shotgun shells. Slugs and buck shot were nonexistant. That could be because of the state firearms deer season being in full force. However in years past they were always in good supply and no absence in the ammo case was noted. I did see some .22 LR in a sale flyer here locally. One of the larger gun shops and outdoor suppliers. They wanted $49.99 for one brick of 500. I about shit. I used to pay .89 cents a box of 50 and $8.99 a brick for 500. How times have changed. Some of the foreign ammo calibers are getting hard to comeby. 8 x57 mm is impossible to get from my suppliers. The Yugo and Romanian stuff hasn't been seen for over a year or better. So I guess we will do what we need to do. We can't let the bastards wear us down.

Stephen said...

Hey Mike:

They had just gotten in a decent amount of the old 525 count bricks of .22 at Shotgun Sports in Anniston on Iron bowl day. Not many folks out but still only one per person. Maybe worth a call if you ever run over to that neck of the woods.
Thanks for all you do, keep up the good work.