Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

I ought to have something profound to say this Independence Day, but I don't. Part of it can be laid at the door of my own petty, selfish distractions -- my health continues to give me fits and we are forecast for some serious rain today, so I know I'll be emptying the buckets and swabbing the floors. Rosey will probably grill some hot dogs before leaving to take our youngest daughter back to college, and will drive on to Memphis to visit her sisters. (Where I am as yet unwelcome from an incident over ten years ago when, after being sorely provoked by her treatment of my oldest daughter, I called their mother a "scabrous-hearted harridan who oozes meanness the way a rotting corpse oozes STANK." (And yes, I said it to her face. "Stank" is a Southernism meaning not merely foul odor, but irredeemably, strong-stomach-gagging foul. The difference is much like Lewis Grizzard's differentiation between "naked" and "nekkid." Naked means you have no clothes, nekkid means you have no clothes and are up to something.)
So, being as yet -- perhaps not without good reason -- unforgiven, I will stay home, tend to the leaks, nurse my ills and try to get some Absolved rewriting done. This weekend I will also be planning (with some other folks) our next moves in the smuggling/armed civil disobedience campaign.
In any case, I am singularly uninspired this Independence Day and while that doesn't reflect well upon me, it happens to be the selfish truth. I'll work, some, and try to rest up for the upcoming surgery. In any case I couldn't craft an Independence Day essay better than this classic from Rush Limbaugh's father (the kid ain't a patch on his old man): "Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacred Honor" by Rush Limbaugh, Jr. Read it, if you haven't before. Read it again if you have. The Founders pledged all, and sacrificed much, to bring us this republic that is now long into corrupt dotage thanks to our inattention to the continued subversions of its enemies. Now, as we contemplate putting our own lives, fortunes and sacred honor on the line because we can no longer ignore the danger, it is fitting to consider what other men in another time faced -- and defeated. You might also want to dig out that copy of the Declaration you have and re-read it, and consider how similar King George the Third and King Barack the First really are.
In any case, have a blessed Independence Day.

8 comments:

WarriorClass III said...

Our country is at its lowest point since its founding and this 4th of July just accentuates that fact. While it could be argued that the civil war was a lower point, I would say that at least people were fighting for their freedom, rather than just bending over for the tyranny the first dictator, as they are for the second.

And now with the Supreme Court ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act, our country has reached the lowest of all possible levels of depravity with the judgement of God soon to follow. All we can do now is pray for the remnant; for God to keep them safe as His judgement comes down upon our country, and leave open a chance for repentance and grace for all those that are willing to return to Him and His Law.

But make no mistake, His Judgement has been made and His wrath is coming, or He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorra.

smitty said...

With very little modification the Declaration of Independence is at least as valid today as when written.

Nearly all the complaints against George III that Thomas Jefferson listed then apply to our present home-grown totalitarian government.

Note especially the complaints regarding the British legal system.

Our present judicial system is actually even more corrupt, as almost anyone ensnared in criminal and/or civil proceedings can verify.


I pay for Mike Vanderboegh's health to greatly improve in order that he be able to continue to set for us a fine example of true patriotism.

Anonymous said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/on-independence-day-obama-urges-americans-to-live-up-to-words-of-declaration-of-independence/2013/07/04/5c15f776-e498-11e2-bffd-37a36ddab820_story.html

"WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is urging Americans on the Fourth of July to live up to the words of the Declaration of Independence by securing liberty and opportunity for their own children as well as for future generations."

Somebody's having trouble keeping their documents straight. The language they're paraphrasing is from The Constitution of the United States, not The Declaration of Independence.

"and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" -- Preamble to The Constitution of the United States of America

My guess is that they've never read either.



Scott J said...

I read that Limbaugh essay from the pulpit in Church last Sunday.

I have watched this with both my children this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9pDZMRCpQ

I then posted the link to Facebook pointing you we have not only a president but an entire political class (thousands of them unelected bureaucrats) who act like king George or worse.

I will spend a large chunk of my day pulling press handles and praying.

2 Chronicles 7:14

Anonymous said...

While many celebrate independence this day, I mourn its demise. As an Illinoisan, I'm witnessing first hand how organized lobby groups claim to be advocating "rights" while actually begging government to impose permission slip structures on them - all while pushing aside those actually demanding full rights for all.

I'm witnessing nationally, a man on trial for daring to stand up to thug life in what is really a sal witch trial.

I see judges all across this land making up "law" as the go along and a Supreme Court that refuses to stop it - along with a legislature that refuses its checking authority too. I see the law enforcer - the commander in chief- refusing to enforce the supreme law (from border to, well everything else, and a population so worried about Justin bieber that they can't see the forest through the trees.

I witness also a select few standing up to the government thuggery, but I fear it is not enough. For crying out loud man, today's Egyptian population acts more "American" than do today's Americans.

The world is truly upside down. Right is wrong. Up is down. And to boot, Damascus is close to ashes. The seven deadly sins are blatant with sloth leading the way. There is no justice and our constitution is indeed dead. Corporate government and fiat money has finally destroyed the greatest experiment ever undertaken.

National independence is indeed extinct. Individual independence remains, to be sure, but for how long is just a guess- will three percent triumph this time? Doubtful at best.

One thing is for sure though - tel Shaka Mel.
I die free.

Charles N. Steele said...

Geez, everyone seems rather depressed, whereas I am feeling pretty celebratory. (Link was written mostly for friends & students who don't get what I'm talking about half the time.)

It's true that the world is upside down. Well,it's up to us to put it right. Don't be depressed, be determined.

And best wishes and health to Mike. Happy Independence Day.

Jensko said...

I'm feeling the same way Mike. I am praying for you to be stronger not only in body but also in Spirit. Hang in there.

Happy D said...

If I may give you something to smile about.
The fireworks displays here were spectacular. I have seen finales that were less fantastic than the intros I saw tonight.

But the part I think you would most enjoy is this.
Smuggled in fireworks were common. The do it yourselfers kept it up for at at least an hour after the pros were done.

Judging by the noise someone was setting off acetylene and/or maybe hydrogen filled balloons.