To Paul Helmke: "Answer the Fookin' Question."
by Mike Vanderboegh
22 November 2008
Stephen (laughing) Him? That can't be William Wallace. I'm prettier than this man! [to the sky]
Stephen: Alright, Father, I'll ask him. [to William]
Stephen: If I risk my neck for you, will I get a chance to kill Englishmen?
Hamish: Is your father a ghost, or do you converse with the Almighty?
Stephen: In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. [to the sky]
Stephen: Yes, Father! [to Hamish]
Stephen: The Almighty says, "Don't change the subject, just answer the fookin' question."
-- Braveheart, 1995.
Let us, for the purposes of argument, stipulate these facts:
1. The advocates of further gun control, such as Paul Helmke of the Brady Bunch, believe they are telling the truth when they claim that they are well-intentioned and only wish more "common sense reasonable regulation" of firearms in the interest of "safer streets" and "public safety."
2. Let us further agree that the GOP has been swept from the field. Nothing stands in the way of Paul Helmke's (and Nancy Pelosi's) agenda. The gun controllers can now get what they wish. Indeed, they believe they hold a "mandate" to do it.
3. And let us admit that, according to information posted on it's own website, the incoming administration has declared its intention to seize control over the private, intrastate sale of arms (wrongly labeled the "gun show loophole") and to reinstitute a "beefed up" equally misnamed "Assault Weapons Ban," thereby declaring outlaw entire classes of heretofore legal semi-automatic rifles, pistol, shotguns and likely, anything in fifty caliber or above.
4. Let us also assume that even the Helmke's of the country must know that there are American gunowners, the Three Percent, who will resist these laws.
5. Thus, the Three Percenters' resistance will provoke government violence to compel their obeisance. The administration will kick in the doors of American gun owners to achieve this allegedly "reasonable" objective.
6. Shots will be fired, and the next American civil war will be off and running. The streets will never be safe again until many bodies have been piled up and one side or the other, one vision of America or the other, has won.
Now, before all this takes place, I think it is reasonable for those like Paul Helmke and others of his ilk to answer this question. I think they owe us an answer before they attempt to kill us with their "good intentions."
Ready? This is the question:
Mr. Helmke, if what this is really all about is "safe streets" and "public safety" how does sparking a bloody civil war further those objectives?
The answer is, it doesn't.
And if that's not what this is about, then shouldn't Helmke and his myrmidons at least have the honesty to admit that what they really seek is the empowerment of the imperial federal government at the expense of our individual, God-given, traditional republican liberties, no matter how many innocents they kill in the process?
To quote the Irishman, Mr. Helmke, "Don't change the subject, just answer the fookin' question."